Yield: 8 servings
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 40 min
Spiced Nectarine Cake
This can be utilized as a brunch cake or a dessert cake. Equally good as both!
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup + 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
2 large eggs
1 Tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
1 1/4 cups self rising flour
5 medium nectarines (about 1 3/4 pounds), halved, each half cut into 4 slices (keep skin on or not)
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously butter 9-inch springform pan.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until fluffy. Add 3/4 cup sugar and beat until blended. Beat in eggs 1 at a time, then lemon juice and lemon peel. Beat in flour until smooth. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
3. Arrange enough nectarine slices atop batter in concentric circles to cover completely; press lightly to adhere. Mix cinnamon and remaining 3 Tablespoons sugar in small bowl. Sprinkle over cake.
4. Bake until cake is golden brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, 40 minutes to 1 hour. Cut around cake to loosen; remove pan sides.
5. Serve cake slightly warm or at room temperature.
*This can also be made with white nectarines, or about six large plums or pluots. If using plums or pluots, the baking time should be reduced to 30-40 minutes.
*It's terrific served with whipped cream or ice cream.
Source: Adapted from Bon Appetit