Yield: 12 to 15 servings
Prep Time: 12 min
Cook Time: 45 min
Gingerbread Ice Cream Roll
3/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour (sift, then measure)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1/2 cup granulated white sugar
1/2 cup light molasses
1 pint soft ice cream- vanilla, pineapple or maple-walnut
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease 15 1/2 x 10 1/2-inch jelly roll pan. Line bottom, not sides with waxed paper or parchment paper. Grease paper lightly.
2. Sift flour (again) with salt, soda and spices; set aside.
3. Use an electric mixer at high speed to beat eggs in a large bowl until thick and lemon-colored (3-4 min.). Gradually beat in sugar a little at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until mixture is very thick and light, about 5 minutes. At low speed, blend in flour mixture until smooth. Add molasses; beat until combined. Turn batter into prepared pan, spreading evenly. Bake 12-15 min., or just until surface springs back when gently pressed with fingertips.
4. Meanwhile, sift some powdered sugar onto a clean towel in the shape of a 15 x 10-inch rectangle. Loosen edges of cake with a sharp knife. Turn out cake onto sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Trim edges of cake evenly. Starting from the short side, roll up cake in towel, jelly roll fashion. Place seam side down on wire rack to cool.
5. When cake has cooled, gently unroll and remove towel. Spread cake with ice cream and re-roll.
6. Wrap with plastic wrap and freeze for 1 hour, or until ready to serve. Before serving, sift additional powdered sugar over top of roll, if desired. Cut into slices to serve.