These Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches are the perfect sweet treat for a hot summer day!
There’s nothing better than a good ice cream sandwich. It’s double the pleasure when you get to eat cookies and ice cream at the same time, right? The best part is enjoying them in the summer when it’s so incredibly hot outside. Reach into your freezer and take out a chocolate chip ice cream sandwich to enjoy, and know that it’s not “store bought” and you made it yourself (so much better!)
How to make Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches:
Making these Ice Cream Sandwiches is a two-step process (so worth it in the end!) First you’ll bake the chocolate chip cookies. You’re going to make them more miniature than you normally make chocolate chip cookies because these are “mini” ice cream sandwiches. It’s better this way (trust me) because a mini ice cream sandwich is going to be completely satisfying. You don’t need a giant one!
Next, you’ll put your freshly baked chocolate chip cookies on a baking sheet and put that in the freezer to get them nice and cold. Then you’ll take softened vanilla ice cream and put a couple of spoonfuls between two frozen cookies to make a sandwich, edge the sandwich in chocolate chips, and then put it onto the cold baking sheet and back into the freezer to freeze until solid. Once solid, you can wrap each ice cream sandwich individually to keep in your freezer.
How long do Ice Cream Sandwiches last in the freezer?
These Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches will stay nice and fresh in your freezer for up to two weeks. Just take a sandwich out when the craving strikes. Or serve them all at once at a party. After two weeks, they may start to get a little bit freezer-burned… as things in the freezer usually do.
My (true) Chipwich Story:
When I was in college in San Diego, I worked a Chipwich Ice cream Sandwich cart at concerts and other events as a little side-job to earn some extra cash. I was paid minimum wage to work the cart, but I made commission if I reached a certain dollar amount of sales in one day. It was awesome on hot days– I was able to sell a lot of ice cream sandwiches. But on cooler days, I found myself lonely and not making much money! I saw a lot of concerts, and I met a lot of cute boys 🙂 And I totally fell in love with chocolate chip ice cream sandwiches! That’s my story.
These are like a mini version of the Chipwich Ice Cream Sandwiches. They’re a totally satisfying ice cream treat, and I hope you enjoy them as much as I do!
Here are a few more frozen treat recipes you might enjoy:
- Snickerdoodle Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Buster Bars
- S’Mores Ice Cream Cake
- Easy Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
- Frozen Lemon Cheesecake Squares
- Pumpkin Ice Cream Pie
- Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream Bars
- Toffee Ice Cream Squares
Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips,
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- 1/2 cup miniature chocolate chips
PREPARE THE COOKIE DOUGH:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients- flour, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, use and electric mixer to combine the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add in the sour cream, egg and vanilla; beat until smooth. With mixer on low, gradually add the flour mixture; mix in the chocolate chips.
BAKE THE COOKIES:
- Using 1 rounded tablespoonful per cookie, drop mounds of dough about 1 1/2 inches apart onto two baking sheets. You should be able to make 24 to 28 cookies. Bake until golden, 10 to 12 minutes; transfer to a rack to cool completely, then transfer to a freezer to chill. Place a baking sheet in the freezer to chill as well (you'll be using it to place the ice cream sandwiches on).
ASSEMBLE THE SANDWICHES:
- Scatter the remaining chocolate chips on a plate. Place about 2 tablespoons of ice cream between 2 chilled cookies (bottoms facing in); press gently. Roll the sides of each sandwich in chocolate chips and place immediately on the chilled baking sheet in the coldest part of your freezer. Repeat with the remaining cookies/ice cream/chips. Let the sandwiches chill well in the freezer (45 to 60 minutes); then wrap individually in plastic wrap. Store in the freezer until ready to serve!
- *Store wrapped sandwiches in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.