Truly an “out of this world” recipe: Frozen Lemon Cheesecake Squares
You will love everything about these frozen lemon cheesecake squares. They’re a great summer dessert recipe! Just like my Buster Bars, this is one of those desserts that you can store in the freezer for a couple of weeks, and then take out squares as you want to serve them (or enjoy for yourself).
- shortbread cookies
- ground almonds
- white sugar
- frozen lemonade concentrate
- cream cheese
- sour cream
- instant lemon pudding
- Cool Whip
If for some reason you are unable to find instant lemon pudding, it’s okay to substitute instant vanilla pudding. It won’t have as strong of a lemon flavor, but the lemonade concentrate should share plenty of lemon flavor to still be a good lemony dessert.
How to make Frozen Lemon Cheesecake Squares:
Prepare the crust first. Combine shortbread cookie crumbs, ground almonds, butter and sugar. Press the crust mixture into a 9×13-inch pan and bake.
The lemon cheesecake is a mix of cream cheese, frozen lemonade concentrate, sour cream and instant lemon pudding. Cool Whip is stirred in last. The lemon cheesecake mixture is spooned onto the baked crust, and then the whole thing is placed into the freezer until firm. Cut into squares for serving.
You can julienne lemon zest to use for a garnish on your frozen lemon cheesecake squares, if you’d like!
Is there an alternative to making the almond-shortbread crust?
Yes! If you would like a more simple crust with more basic ingredients, I have a recipe for you!
Combine 2 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs, 1/4 cup of sugar and 1 stick of butter. Press into the pan, and bake as directed. The graham cracker crust will be a bit thicker than the shortbread crust.
This dessert is so good, so refreshing, so easy to make and such a big hit with taste testers. Lemon is a delicious choice for a summer dessert, and it’s an especially awesome flavor for cheesecake. Enjoy!
Frozen Lemon Cheesecake Squares
- 1¼ cups shortbread cookie crumbs
- ⅓ cup ground almonds
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 6 ounces frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
- Three 8-ounce packages cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream
- One 3.5-ounce box lemon-flavored instant pudding
- 2 cups Cool Whip, thawed
MAKE THE CRUST:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, stir together crumbs, almonds, butter and sugar. Press onto the bottom of a 13x9-inch baking pan. Bake 10 minutes; cool.
MAKE THE LEMON CHEESECAKE:
- In a large bowl, add the cream cheese. Use an electric hand mixer to gradually mix in the lemonade concentrate at low speed with an electric mixer until well-blended with the cream cheese. Add the sour cream and pudding mix; beat 1 minute.
- Use a rubber spatula to fold in the whipped topping and pour the mixture over the baked crust.
- Freeze until firm, and cut into squares.