Figs might seem like an unusual choice for ice cream, but this recipe for Fresh Fig Ice Cream will quickly make you a devoted fan!
Fresh Fig Ice Cream
- 2 pounds (about 20) fresh figs
- ½ cup water
- ¾ cup granulated white sugar
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup half and half cream
- 1 whole vanilla bean, scraped
- Cut off stem ends of the figs, and then cut each fig into 8 pieces. Put the figs in a medium saucepan with the water. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 8 to 10 minutes until the figs are tender. Remove the lid, add the sugar and continue to cook until it reaches a jam like consistency, stirring often. This could take about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature. Pour into a bowl and stir in the cream, half and half and vanilla bean seeds. Cover and chill until very cold (overnight is preferable).
- Process in your ice cream maker following the manufacturer's instructions. Scoop into a freezer safe container and freeze until firm.