Pretty much the best cookies ever: White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies
I was in Hawaii recently for a spring break vacation with my family. It was full of relaxing times and great food! Unlike other people out there, I actually like to rent a condo or house on vacations so I can cook many of our own meals. That’s what we did this time. Friends thought we were crazy. Cooking is relaxing to me, and I was very happy to be able to cook (and bake) with local ingredients.
Macadamia nuts are so abundant in Hawaii… and I’ve always loved a good white chocolate macadamia nut cookie… so I gathered the ingredients and made one of my favorite cookies!
This was the view I had from my kitchen in Maui… so it really didn’t feel like work at all. Breathtaking, isn’t it??
I was a little nervous using an oven that wasn’t mine to try and bake cookies, but they ended up turning out perfect! They were crispy and delicious. Macadamia nuts and white chocolate are meant to be together!
White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies
- 1⅓ cups granulated white sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- ½ cup shortening
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ cups chopped roasted macadamia nuts
- 6 ounces white chocolate, chopped
- In a large bowl, use a rubber spatula to combine the butter, shortening and sugar. Stir in the egg and vanilla until well combined.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the flour and baking soda. Add to the wet ingredients and stir until incorporated. Stir in the macadamia nuts and white chocolate.
- Cover the bowl of dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or spray with nonstick spray.
- Scoop out heaping tablespoonfuls of dough and roll into a ball. Set on the baking sheet and gently push down to flatten slightly. Place dough 2½ inches apart as the cookies will spread some. If you make them too large, they will crash into each other while baking, so be careful!
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until the cookies are set and golden on the edges. Let cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a rack to cool completely.
Here are a few more recipes using macadamia nuts that you might enjoy:
- Macadamia Nut Blondies by Shugary Sweet
- Meyer Lemon Macadamia Nut Tart by Love and Olive Oil
- Toasted Coconut and Macadamia Nut Pancakes by Sugar Dish Me
These would be gone in seconds here!
What’s the easiest way to chop macadamia nuts?
I like to chop full-sized ones in half with a sharp knife, then it’s easy from there to chop into smaller pieces.
These cookies are so pretty and yummy too! What a lovely vacation for all.
That view from your kitchen there…oh my, incredible! I wouldn’t have come back home 🙂
The cookies look great! I love white chocolate!
YUM! I love the combo of white chocolate and macadamia nut. Gorgeous!