Cranberry Macadamia Bars are a festive sweet treat to serve during the fall and winter holidays!
These bars have a buttery shortbread crust. The filling is a delicious gooey, orange layer. They kind of have the texture of a good lemon bar (but orange flavored). Chopped cranberries, coconut and macadamia nuts are baked on top.
How to make Cranberry Macadamia Bars:
The full, printable recipe for these bars is at the end of this post.
Make the dough for the crust:
It’s a buttery shortbread type crust with chopped macadamia nuts mixed in. Press the crust dough into the bottom of a 9×13-inch pan. Bake 10 to 15 minutes until lightly browned.
Add the filling:
Mix the filling ingredients next. It’s a sweet, orange-flavored filling. Pour the filling on top of the hot baked crust. Sprinkle with cranberries, coconut and macadamia nuts. Bake for about 1/2 hour, until golden brown.
Cut your cranberry macadamia bars while still warm. Then let them cool completely in the pan.
Use a spatula to remove the bars from the pan. Display them on a platter for serving. Maybe serve a variety of festive treats like peppermint brownies, cranberry bliss bars and gingerbread cookie bars.
These cranberry macadamia bars are a pretty tasty dessert!
If you’d like to save some for later, store them in a covered container at room temperature for a few days. If you need to stack them, divide the layers in your storage container using wax paper. They can also be store in the refrigerator. Enjoy!
Cranberry Macadamia Bars
- 1¼ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated white sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) cold salted butter, cut into pieces
- ½ cup finely chopped macadamia nuts (can also use hazelnuts or pecans)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1¼ cups granulated white sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup finely chopped cranberries
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup chopped macadamia nuts
PREPARE THE CRUST:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Stir together the flour and sugar in a mixing bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or two knives until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the nuts. Press the crust mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 9x13-inch baking pan. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until the crust is lightly browned around the edges. Keep the oven pre-heated at 350.
ADD THE FILLING AND TOPPING:
- Combine all of the filling ingredients in a mixing bowl. Whisk together until well- combined. Pour the filling over the hot crust. Sprinkle with cranberries, coconut and nuts.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars while warm. Cool completely in pan.
- I like to use fresh cranberries (easiest to chop when they are frozen), but you can sub dried cranberries, if you'd like.