This Pumpkin Ice Cream Pie is a super easy dessert to throw together.
You’ve gotta love an easy ice cream pie recipe. And this one is definitely easy to make. This ice cream pie has a gingersnap crust and a spiced pumpkin ice cream filling. It’s a good way to eat pumpkin in the summer! And it’s perfectly okay to make pumpkin ice cream pie as a fall dessert too.
How to make Pumpkin Ice Cream Pie:
Start by making a gingersnap crust. This is a simple mix of ground up gingersnap cookies with ground pecans, sugar and butter. It’s all pressed into a pie plate and baked for about 5 minutes.
The filling is made by combining unsweetened pumpkin purée with brown sugar, salt, ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg. Then you’ll stir in softened vanilla ice cream and pour it into the crust. Smooth the top, and then stick it in the freezer overnight to solidify the ice cream.
To serve, take the frozen pie out of the freezer for about 15 minutes before serving. This will give it a little time to soften up so it’s easier to cut and easier to eat!
It’s ice cream- themed pumpkin pie! You’ll love this delicious dessert, and it’s super quick to make. If the idea of baking an “actual” pumpkin pie kind of scares you, then making a frozen confection instead might be an acceptable alternative. It’s delicious and creamy, and it tastes just like a good pumpkin pie should taste. But it’ll taste even better if you’re an ice cream lover.
Why make an ice cream pie vs. a baked pie?
Why not? It’s always nice to make something a little different. People will be amazed that you thought outside the box to create something new. It’s definitely a fun recipe to try. Enjoy!
Pumpkin Ice Cream Pie
- 1 cup ground pecans
- ½ cup ground gingersnaps (about 10 gingersnaps)
- ¼ cup granulated white sugar
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) salted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup canned unsweetened pumpkin puree
- ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 quart French Vanilla ice cream
- whipped cream, optional
PREPARE THE CRUST:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Combine the pecans, crumbs, sugar and butter. Press into the bottom of a 9-inch pie pan. Bake 5 to 7 minutes. Let cool.
ADD THE FILLING:
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the pumpkin, brown sugar, salt and spices for several minutes. Stir in the softened ice cream. Pour into the crust- even out the top; freeze overnight.
- Remove the pie from the freezer about 15 minutes before serving. Top with whipped cream, if desired.
- If you are preparing this recipe as gluten-free, just be sure to use GF Gingersnaps, and use a brand of vanilla ice cream that is known to be GF
- To get finely ground crust ingredients, a food processor works best.