Roasting Multi-Colored Whole Carrots w/ Honey & Rosemary

I’ve had many an orange carrot, and even a white carrot or two, but never have I had…
carrots1
…purple carrots!! I stopped by Specialty Produce the other day to pick up a normal bunch of carrots with fronds attached. They insisted I try the white and maroon varieties too.
carrots2
I love carrots that have that just-picked look… with their rustic texture and scraggy ends. They kind-of invite you to nibble on them, don’t they?
carrots3
I wasn’t even sure what I’d do with a boatload of colored carrots, but I was happy to bring them home and explore my options. They behaved as good subjects for photos. I decided on making Roasted Whole Carrots with Honey and Rosemary.
carrots4
Roasting them seemed like the obvious choice. I wasn’t interested in peeling them for fear of them losing their rustic charm. So I gave them a scrub and placed them on a baking sheet…
carrots5
…and tossed them in a little olive oil. They roasted at 425 until tender.
carrots6
Out of the oven they were drizzled with honey and sprinkled with chopped fresh rosemary.
carrots7
This was lunch for me on a recent cloudy & cool afternoon.  They were quite delightful with a glass of chilled pinot grigio and a hunk of French bread.  I imagine there are subtle differences in flavor between the colors, but in this recipe I was not able to distinguish any major difference in taste.  These would be perfect alongside a roast or with the rustic look that these provide, I can imagine them being wonderful for an Italian dinner party too.

This recipe can be found here:  Roasted Carrots with Honey and Rosemary

23 Responses to “Roasting Multi-Colored Whole Carrots w/ Honey & Rosemary”

VeggieGirl — April 11, 2009 @ 3:49 AM

For some reason, I wasn’t crazy about the purple carrots – they actually tasted sweeter to me than “regular orange” carrots. Oh well, haha. They’re still lovely to look at and fun to cook!! :-)

Barbara — April 11, 2009 @ 5:42 AM

Sounds like you treated yourself to a wonderful afternoon break! Good for you!

lisaiscooking — April 11, 2009 @ 6:36 AM

Simple, perfect combination! There’s just something about honey and rosemary. Delicious!

snooky doodle — April 11, 2009 @ 7:07 AM

Oh I like carrots with honey and rosemary. In fact I m amking them tomorrow. I also liked them with honey and soy sauce hmmm so good :)

Esi — April 11, 2009 @ 8:00 AM

I always see the purple carrots at the market, but I have never tried them. I love the colors here!

Dragon — April 11, 2009 @ 8:28 AM

Pretty little carrots, all in a row. Yum!

Janet — April 11, 2009 @ 8:36 AM

They are so pretty looking! Wow, I hope I can find the purple ones here, I already have roasted carrots and parsnips on the menu for tomorrow- the purple would be so festive! And the meal for one with a glass of Pinot Grigio… a woman after my own heart!

Stacey Snacks — April 11, 2009 @ 8:44 AM

I could eat these beautiful roasted carrots everynight! they are like candy!

RecipeGirl's Mom — April 11, 2009 @ 9:23 AM

Wow, these carrots look yummy! And the photos are beautiful. But what were you doing up at 2am??

ThePurpleFoodie — April 11, 2009 @ 9:37 AM

Lori, the carrots look absolutely gorgeous! I want to bite into that right now.

patsyk — April 11, 2009 @ 10:59 AM

What a great way to use those colorful carrots! I’ve got to find some of those colorful carrots so I can try them, too.

Kathy - Cooking On the Side — April 11, 2009 @ 12:11 PM

How pretty! I’ve been wondering about those multi-color carrots, was just looking at them at Vons today. And I love the rosemary garnish – extra enticing.

So…um…that makes two twinsie posts in a row! Our cooking minds are slowly but surely melding into one :-)

Kerstin — April 11, 2009 @ 12:52 PM

I’ve never seen purple carrots – how pretty. They look delicious and perfect for Easter!

Jenni — April 11, 2009 @ 3:44 PM

How beautiful! Love the honey drizzle–I wonder how they’d be if you put the honey on before roasting. Honey would caramelize a bit; could maybe be tasty:)

Lori Lynn — April 11, 2009 @ 8:26 PM

They look absolutely lovely. I made roasted carrots and parsnips for Passover. Now, I’ll be on the lookout for the maroon variety.

Wishing you and your family a Happy Easter Lori.
    LL

Katie — April 12, 2009 @ 5:50 AM

So pretty! Sounds delicious. I have never tried different colored carrots before.

Happy Easter!

jennywenny — April 12, 2009 @ 6:13 AM

They used to sell these multicolored carrots at trader joes too, not sure if they are back yet!

This makes me remember that I forgot how wonderful carrots are until I started getting my bewise CSA, I’d got into the habit of getting the ‘baby’ carrots from the supermarket and they are so tasteless you might as well be eating packing material. Real carrots are just so much tastier!

Leslie Green — April 12, 2009 @ 4:52 PM

I have never seen white OR purple carrots!!! YUM

Elyse — April 12, 2009 @ 6:03 PM

Ooo, those purple carrots look AWESOME! I love roasted carrots. What a great find.

Manggy — April 12, 2009 @ 8:19 PM

I just had roasted carrots yesterday!! Yummy. I love the different colors!

Jeff — April 13, 2009 @ 6:58 AM

Droooll…dragon purple carrots are one of my favorite varieties. Such an awesome flavor.

Great use of all the colorful rainbows of carrots.

Laurie — April 13, 2009 @ 6:45 PM

These are gorgeous.. I would have loved to have been served these!

Vilna Badi — October 11, 2009 @ 7:56 AM

I saw this on the Eat Right For Your Type website: This root vegetable is also known as oyster plant because its taste resembles a delicately flavored oyster. The parsnip-shaped salsify can reach up to 12 inches in length and 2 1/2 inches in diameter. The most commonly found salsify has a white-fleshed root with grayish skin, though there are varieties with a pale golden skin, as well as one with a black skin (also called scorzonera ). Though salsify is more popular in Europe than in the United States, it can be found here from June through February, usually in Spanish, Italian and Greek markets. Choose well-formed roots that are heavy for their size and not too gnarled. Refrigerate, wrapped in a plastic bag, up to a week. Salsify is generally eaten plain as a vegetable, or used in savory pies and soups.