Creamy Chicken Enchiladas

I had a serious craving for Mexican food last night. Good thing it’s quite easy to satisfy those Mexican food cravings here in Southern California. We have little Mexican fast food shacks, you see… pretty much every mile or so down the road. They’re quick and they’re good and they’re a little bit greasy, but most of them serve up fairly awesome, authentic Mexican grub for a low price. As a result, these Mexican food shacks are inundated by those of us addicted to frequent diet-busting binges. Rolled tacos with guacamole, carne asada burritos, fish tacos and carnitas tacos are the favorites in our family. But when it comes to enchiladas, I usually make them at home. Our latest favorite: Creamy Chicken Enchiladas.

This is an easy, easy family-friendly recipe. It’s rare that I make something so simple.  Usually I overdo it and spend most of the day cooking away.  This was the one-time-this-year that I’ll allow a can of creamy condensed soup to approach my pantry. Usually I avoid those soups with dramatic abandonment.  You can also use a roasted chicken from the grocery store to save time for this one, and your meal will be ready in about an hour.

Back in college, there was a Mexican food place (Roberto’s) that was open 24 hours. I can’t tell you how many times my roommates and I were there in the middle of the night eating things one should never eat at 3am. I shudder thinking about all of the empty calories that were consumed in that period of my life when my metabolism was a bit more capable of handling it all. I likely damaged said metabolism beyond repair with all of that Mexican food.

Nowadays, visits to Mexican food shacks are few and far between… mostly they’re instigated by a craving for it after a long day at the beach. But I do make quite a lot of my own healthier Mexican food at home. These enchiladas- though not really all that healthy-  were gobbled up by my family, who requested that I actually make it a second time one of these days.  I typically don’t repeat recipes very often, but I’ll consider for this one…

This recipe can be found here: Creamy Chicken Enchiladas

31 Responses to “Creamy Chicken Enchiladas”

Maria — May 4, 2009 @ 11:34 AM

I wish we had good Mexican around. We do have one little local place that has amazing fish tacos, but probably nothing like CA! We do like making it at home though, great recipe, thanks for sharing!

Sara — May 4, 2009 @ 12:23 PM

Mmmm, these look and sound delicious! My hubby and I are big fans for enchiladas and there are so many different recipes for them…can’t wait to try yours out. :)

Holidayjen — May 4, 2009 @ 1:15 PM

I just happened upon this recipe last week (thanks Google) and made 2 pans of these for a party Saturday night. HUGE hit! For the veggie folks I substituted cream of mushroom soup and a can of Goya pink beans. Everyone loved them!

HoneyB — May 4, 2009 @ 1:46 PM

I love Mexican food!!

Nick — May 4, 2009 @ 3:17 PM

Yum! I’m about to make some honey-mustard salmon tacos with fresh guac!

Elyse — May 4, 2009 @ 2:58 PM

I love the 3am college joints. My freshman year, I spent waaay too many a late night at a place called Time Out. Luckily, I wised up (only a bit) by the time senior year rolled around :) I love Mexican, too! I can’t wait to try your enchilada recipe. I’m all about quick, easy, and delicious!

Leslie Green — May 4, 2009 @ 3:42 PM

Simple = yummy!

Jamie — May 4, 2009 @ 4:52 PM

I make a very similar enchilada –I am all about trying to cut calories in this dish. They still come out so creamy you would never know that you were eating “healthier” enchiladas. I wish I could go back to the days of eating empty calories without a thought and truly appreciate how lucky I was to not gain a pound. With that said I am off to hit the treadmill :)

Reeni — May 4, 2009 @ 5:30 PM

Enchiladas are a big favorite of mine, too! They looks so delicious!

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen — May 4, 2009 @ 7:42 PM

Oh good grief Lori – every time I come to your blog I drool – no matter what you have posted and no matter what time of day. I so would love to eat at your house!

Kerstin — May 4, 2009 @ 7:42 PM

Gorgeous pictures – now I’m craving enchiladas, they look really yummy.

Amanda — May 5, 2009 @ 3:00 AM

These look fabulous! I totally know what you mean about the Mexican shacks being so accessible. I lived in Vegas for a while and it was the same way there. My favorite is a beef (steak) taco with onion and cilantro relish. YUM!

Louise — May 5, 2009 @ 3:05 AM

Happy Cinco de Mayo Lori, a perfect recipe for a celebration!!! It just looks so darn good!!! I’m going to check your posts for Salsa recipes. May is National Salsa Month too!!!

Thanks so much for sharing…

grace — May 5, 2009 @ 5:00 AM

what a sloppy dish. and by sloppy, i mean beautiful, delicious, satisfying, and incredible. i do love enchiladas, and your use of soup makes it that much easier to get the creamy, spicy goodness into mah belly. :)

Jeff — May 5, 2009 @ 5:03 AM

When I was out in San Diego last year I was addicted to the Mexican restaurants. Heck I think I ended up at South Beach half the time for fish tacos and to stare at the ocean.

Nicely done!

Lisa — May 5, 2009 @ 5:10 AM

Your chicken enchiladas look better than I have ever seen in any Mexican restaurant ANYWHERE and they’re making my mouth water like crazy! Beautiful photos too! If you don’t mind my asking, what kind of camera and lens(es) do you use? I know it’s not the camera but the person, but without much natural light and only one decent lens (50mm f1.8), I need all the help/advice I can get..LOL

Teanna — May 5, 2009 @ 5:46 AM

Oh that is just GORGEOUS and perfect for Cinco De Mayo! I love making Mexican food at home, mainly because I know what I am making is not filled with a bajillion calories and eight hundred grams of fat!

Danielle Deskins — May 5, 2009 @ 8:24 AM

I just made these last week and I’m drooling just reminiscing of them! I think next time I’ll cut down on the butter though. I was pleasantly surprised with their creaminess and authentic flavor.

oneshotbeyond — May 5, 2009 @ 8:55 AM

yours look 1000 times better than mine-that’s for sure!

Michelle — May 5, 2009 @ 10:03 AM

Perfect dinner for Cinco de Mayo!

Sarah — May 5, 2009 @ 10:29 AM

I love enchiladas! These look great!

Ivy — May 5, 2009 @ 10:51 AM

Wow this recipe sounds perfect. We don’t have a lot of Mexican restaurants here in Greece and none around my neighbourhood. I must try this recipe soon. I bought some tortillas today so we had fajitas for supper.

stephchows — May 5, 2009 @ 11:04 AM

Nothing wrong with a recipe shortcut :) Looks delicious!

pigpigscorner — May 5, 2009 @ 11:53 AM

I have those cravings too! I love enchiladas, so easy yet delicious!

Nurit - 1 family. fr — May 5, 2009 @ 11:55 AM

Not any good Mexican food I know of around around Seattle.
    I love thses kind of dinners. Quick, easy, and delicioussssss.

Melissa — May 5, 2009 @ 2:31 PM

Living where you do, it’s hard not to want to grab Mexican food… too many good holes in the wall. Up here in OC too. FATTENING!

Your enchiladas look great. Remarkable photo, since most enchiladas do NOT photograph well. And what’s a family friendly recipe once per year eh? At least you weren’t chained to kitchen for one evening. :)

rhyleysgranny — May 5, 2009 @ 2:34 PM

I have never made enchilladas. I always associate it with America. I really just didn’t know how and now I have your lovely recipe all printed out. Guess what’s for dinner tomorrow night? Just need to track down a tin of soup
    Thanks :)

Paula — May 6, 2009 @ 4:56 AM

Yum! those enchiladas look super!!

Katie — May 6, 2009 @ 7:29 AM

I made these last night for dinner. As you would predict it was a huge hit w/my family. I usually am leary of recipes that call for a can of soup (too “casseroley”) but your recipe intrigued me. Thanks for intriguing me! They were great!

Just a Girl — May 15, 2009 @ 7:45 PM

I am so sad I can not get Mexican here so easily, and when I can it is OKAY at best, finding the ingredients is another issue..”sigh” This dish looks fabulous.

Kevin — May 30, 2009 @ 7:40 AM

Those enchiladas look so moist and good!