Asparagus and Chicken Enchiladas
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 8 ounces sour cream
- ½ cup green taco sauce
- Twelve 8 inch flour tortillas
- 3 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- ½ cup sweet onion, finely chopped
- 12 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 2½ pounds asparagus, trimmed and blanched
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Spray two 9x9 inch glass dishes (or one large 9x13 inch glass dish) with nonstick spray.
- In medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook, stirring 1 minute. Gradually add broth and cook, whisking, until thick (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat. Whisk in sour cream and taco sauce and set aside.
- Lay out tortilla onto working surface. Place 2 tablespoons of Jack cheese, ¼ cup chicken, onions and asparagus down the center of the tortilla. Spoon 3 tablespoons of sauce on top of the mixture. Roll and place seam down. Place 6 enchiladas in each dish. Sprinkle with Jack cheese, sauce and Parmesan.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until light golden color and bubbly.
- If you like spicy, add red pepper flakes or a couple of dashes of tabasco to the sauce.
- Don't pre-cook your asparagus too long. They should still be firm and crisp.