Turkey Tostadas are one of my family’s favorite dinner recipes (and they’re so easy to make, too).
Sometimes you just need a no-brainer kind of idea to make for dinner. Are you familiar with how to make tostadas? My Mom used to make these all the time for me and my siblings. Sometimes she made them with flour tortillas, and sometimes she used corn tortillas. The great thing about making turkey tostadas is that each person can customize their tostada to put whatever they want on top. That’s great for a house with picky eaters!
How to make Turkey Taco Meat:
The full, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
- vegetable or canola oil
- lean ground turkey
- chili powder, cumin and coriander
- tomato paste
Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add the onion and garlic and crumble in the turkey. Stir-fry over moderate heat until the turkey is no longer pink, about 6 minutes. Mix in the chili powder, cumin, coriander, tomato paste, water and salt. Bring to a simmer and keep warm.
Toppings for Turkey Tostadas:
The toppings for turkey tostadas can be chosen entirely according to your preference. I recommend starting with refried beans and topping them with lettuce, cheese, tomato, olives, guacamole, sour cream and salsa.
I like to go all out and put everything on top. It’s a great meal because you’re getting a protein (turkey taco meat), carbs (beans and tortillas) and veggies all in one meal.
If you are a guacamole lover, add guacamole to your turkey tostadas too. It’s so yummy! Enjoy.
Best Mexican Food Recipes:
- Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas
- Baked Chicken Tacos
- Beef Fajitas with Mango Salsa
TURKEY TACO MEAT:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
- ½ large onion, chopped
- 3 medium garlic cloves, chopped
- 20 ounces (1¼ pounds) lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- One 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- salt, to taste
- 6 medium flour tortillas (use corn, if gluten-free)
- One and a half 15-ounce cans refried beans, warmed-up
- 1 medium head iceberg lettuce, chopped
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar or cheddar/jack cheese
- ¾ cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup sliced black olives
- guacamole, sour cream, and salsa, for serving (as desired)
PREPARE THE TURKEY TACO MEAT:
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet. Add the onion and garlic and crumble in the turkey. Stir-fry over moderate heat until the turkey is no longer pink, about 6 minutes.
- Mix in the chili powder, cumin, coriander, tomato paste, water and salt. Bring to a simmer and keep warm.
FINISH AND ASSEMBLE THE TOSTADAS:
- Put the oven on "broil" setting. Place the tortillas on the middle rack in the oven and heat until they begin to brown and get a little bit crispy, then flip and heat the other side too. Watch closely, so you don't burn them! Remove from the oven.
- Spread the heated tortillas with warmed refried beans. Sprinkle lettuce on the beans; top with the warmed turkey mixture and sprinkle with cheese. Sprinkle tomatoes and black olives on top.
- Top with salsa, guacamole and sour cream, as desired.
- If you are preparing this recipe as GLUTEN-FREE, be sure to use brands of tomato paste and refried beans that are known to be GF. Also-- use GF corn tortillas in place of flour tortillas.