Baked Chicken Tacos are an easy way to make tacos with spiced chicken filling and cheese baked in crispy taco shells with desired fixings added.
Tacos are the perfect family friendly dinner. The great thing about tacos is that you can make basic baked chicken tacos or baked beef tacos for everyone and then each person can add fixings to their tacos according to their preference. Build your own tacos! Everyone loves a good taco night. And it’s such an easy thing to make for dinner too.
- olive oil
- ground cumin
- dried oregano
- chili powder
- shredded chicken
- tomato paste
- taco shells
- shredded cheese
If you wanted to leave out the spices, you could use a taco seasoning packet instead (in place of the cumin, oregano, chili powder and salt/pepper). Pulled pork may be substituted for the shredded chicken. Taco shells can be found in the aisle of your market where Mexican-style products are found. They are usually sold in a box.
How to make Baked Chicken Tacos:
Cook onion and garlic in olive oil until softened. Add spices (cumin, oregano, chili powder, salt/pepper) and stir to combine. Add chicken, tomato paste and water and cook together until the spiced up chicken is warmed through. Place taco shells in a casserole dish. Spoon the chicken mixture into the taco shells. Sprinkle cheese on top, and then bake for about 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted.
What are the best fixings to add to baked chicken tacos?
- chopped lettuce
- chopped tomato
- fresh cilantro
- jalapeño slices
- chopped onion
- sour cream
- guacamole or avocado slices
Set out as many fixings as you want. Display them decoratively on a taco board, or just put out bowls of fixings on a large cutting board or platter and let everyone help themselves. Since everyone is adding what they want, no one will be upset about how the tacos were made. No tears!
Next time your family is craving tacos, make these Baked Chicken Tacos for dinner. Your family will love you for it, and you’ll be happy to make such an easy and pleasing meal. Enjoy!
Baked Chicken Tacos
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped finely
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1½ teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken (such as Rotisserie chicken)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¼ cup water
- 12 to 14 hard taco shells
- 2 cup shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese
- chopped tomatoes, lettuce, minced red onion, sour cream, salsa, avocado, chopped cilantro and jalapeño
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large skillet on medium heat, add the oil. Once hot, add the onion and cook until softened and starting to brown, about 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the garlic and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add the cumin, oregano, chili powder, salt, and black pepper, and cook for 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add the chicken, tomato paste, and water. Cook until the chicken is warm throughout, about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Divide the chicken mixture between the hard taco shells (about 3 to 4 tablespoons per taco; you will have room for 12 to 14 tacos) and place the tacos upright in a 9 by 13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle the cheese on top of the chicken in each taco.
- Bake until the cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.
- Garnish the tacos with any toppings you like. Serve immediately.