Almond Roca

I’ve been a busy little candy maker lately, anticipating the desire for holiday gifting. So far, I’ve made truffles, peanut brittle, fudge and this Almond Roca.

The almond roca is my favorite. My TOTAL favorite. My CRAZY-ADDICTING favorite! The best part is- you will NOT need a candy thermometer for this recipe! yahoo-easy!

Here’s how you make it…

Sprinkle 3/4 cup chopped and toasted almonds into the bottom of a buttered 7×11-inch glass pan.  I realize everyone doesn’t have a 7×11-inch pan, so you can certainly use a 9×12-inch if you need to… it will just be more spread out and thinner.  I used salted, roasted almonds (and then toasted them in a dry frying pan after chopping).  You can use unsalted natural almonds if you don’t care for the salty-sweet combination in dessert.

Melt some butter in a medium saucepan.

Add brown sugar, and stir it up.

Bring the mixture to a boil. Not a wild, rolling boil… just enough of a boil where you see bubbles popping frequently.

Boil the butter/sugar mixture for 12 minutes exactly (stirring constantly).  It should look all cool and golden and toffee-like when it’s done.  I made mine without a candy thermometer with success, but since some readers have noted having trouble with this recipe- you might wish to stick and instant read thermometer in there just to make sure it’s about the right temperature.  Pull it off the heat when it has reached the hard-crack stage (300 degrees F)  or when the mixture starts to separate (the oil starts to separate from the sugar).   If it gets higher than 320, the mixture will not remain solid.

Pour it on top of the almonds in the pan– drizzling it all over and and filling in all of the spaces with the toffee.

Place four chocolate bars on top of the hot toffee.

Let them sit there for a minute or so and get all gooey and melted, then use the bottom of a spoon to spread the chocolate around.

Spread all the way to the edges.

Sprinkle more almonds on top.  Press them in gently.  Now’s the hard part.  You can either let this sit at room temperature overnight to set that chocolate completely, or you can refrigerate it until firm, or you can freeze it for about 20 minutes (until firm).

Once the mixture is firm and set, loosen the sides of the pan with a knife and the toffee should pop right out of the pan in one, big hunk.  Break it apart gently with your hands, or set it on a cutting board and use a large knife to cut across the slab of candy–wedges will break off and appear in all sorts of shapes and sizes.

Sample!  Just to make sure everything is tasting okay and everything ;)

It’s best to get this out of your house as quickly as possible.  On candy-making day at my house, this was the favorite of all of my taste testers… by far.  SO good.  And SO addicting and buttery and almondy and salty-sweet and delicious.

This should keep just fine in a sealed container kept at room temperature for a couple of weeks.  Happy holiday gifting!

Print Print Recipe
Save Save Recipe

Almond Roca

Yield: 3 cups

Prep Time: 18 min

Cook Time: 15 min

So simple and delicious, but it can be a little tricky. Please read all of the comments and tips before attempting your first batch! We've been making this recipes for years for the holidays and we love it!

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups chopped toasted almonds, divided
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter
4 bars of chocolate (such as Hershey's Bars)

Directions:

1. Butter a 7x11-inch pan (or 9x12 for slightly thinner roca). Sprinkle 1 cup of toasted almonds on bottom of the pan.

2. In heavy saucepan at medium-high heat melt butter and add brown sugar. Stir until gently boiling. Reduce heat to medium or medium-low and boil 12 minutes exactly, stirring constantly. *Edited to add* I made mine without a candy thermometer with success, but since some readers have noted having trouble with this recipe- you might wish to stick and instant read thermometer in there just to make sure it's about the right temperature. Pull it off the heat when it has reached the hard-crack stage (300 degrees F)- or when the mixture starts to separate (the oil starts to separate from the sugar). If it gets higher than 320, it will not remain solid.

3. Remove the mixture from heat, give it a good stir to mix up that butter and sugar one more time, and immediately pour hot mixture into pan over almonds. (see *Tips below) Place chocolate bars on top. Let them sit a minute or so until melted, then spread chocolate around carefully. Sprinkle with remaining toasted almonds and gently press them into the chocolate..

4. Cool completely, and then break apart into chunks with a sharp knife. Store in a covered container.

Tips:

*This recipe is gluten-free adaptable- just be sure to use a brand of chocolate that is known to be GF.

*If you like the sweet-salty combination in desserts, use roasted almonds that are salted (then you can chop them and toast them lightly in a dry frying pan). If you don't care to have much salt, use unsalted natural almonds. I went for the salty kind and LOVED it.

*If you don't have a 7x11-inch pan, it's okay to use a 9x12-inch pan. You probably won't want to go all the way to the edges with the almonds, toffee and chocolate or it will be thin. Leave about an inch all the way around.
*Speed up the cooling process by placing the pan in the refrigerator.

*If you are in a place where it is very humid, you will likely have trouble getting your toffee to set. Toffee doesn't like humidity. Try it on a dry day!

*Edited to add that some people have trouble w/ the chocolate separating from the toffee. This is kind of normal in almond roca since the toffee is so buttery. I've been told that one way to avoid that is to give the toffee a light dusting of cocoa powder before placing the chocolate bars on top. The powder apparently acts as an absorbent for the butter and allows the chocolate to adhere more easily to the toffee. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm told that it works!

Source: RecipeGirl.com

142 Responses to “Almond Roca”

Blog is the New Black — December 12, 2011 @ 3:49 AM

Love any type of “bark!” YUM!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — December 12, 2011 @ 3:54 AM

This looks so good and yours is the first step by step of A.R. that I’ve ever come across…thank you!

Just made “christmas crack” this weekend, i.e. Saltine Chocolate Toffee. Same principle…and now I am thinking I need to make A.R., too :)

Delish pics!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — December 12, 2011 @ 4:19 AM

This has been on my baking list for so long, I love how easy you just made it look!

Melissa — December 12, 2011 @ 4:35 AM

In the directions with photos, you say to use a 9×12 but then in the written directions/tips you say to use a 9×6. Which is it?
    Bark looks delish btw, I will be making, just want to be clear on the directions!

• Lori Lange replied: — December 12th, 2011 @ 5:31 AM

I adjusted the directions – thank you!

Julie @ Table for Two — December 12, 2011 @ 4:44 AM

omg, amazing!! they sell these at costco and i’ve always wanted to make these at home. so addicting!! i’m glad it looks so easy. i’ve always thought this was going to be hard!

Jessica @ How Sweet — December 12, 2011 @ 5:37 AM

Lori!!! I’ve NEVER had almond roca. What the heck?! I NEED this!

Maria — December 12, 2011 @ 5:46 AM

This would be dangerous in my house! Love it!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — December 12, 2011 @ 5:46 AM

Yum! I am with you 100%, it has to be salted almonds!

Katrina — December 12, 2011 @ 6:32 AM

Love this! If you say it’s your favorite I’m in! Can’t wait to try this :)

Marisha — December 12, 2011 @ 6:36 AM

Love it! My Mom and I used to make it every year when I was growing up and I miss it! Thanks for a great reminder. :)

Cookbook Queen — December 12, 2011 @ 6:50 AM

WHAT?! Omg this is soooo one of my favorite candies!!! Totally making this for Christmas. And no candy thermometer??? Can you tell I’m excited? :)

And I do have a 7 x 11 pan…one of my favorites!! If you bake Ghirardelli Brownie Mixes, I love them baked in that waaaay more than an 8×8..just gives a better shape/thickness.

Jenny Flake — December 12, 2011 @ 6:51 AM

These look so perfect Lori!! What a perfect treat to put on any Christmas plate!

Deborah — December 12, 2011 @ 7:25 AM

Oh my goodness – this would be SO dangerous to have in my house!!

Lisa — December 12, 2011 @ 7:31 AM

One of my mom’s favorites. Thank you, l am giving this a try.

Sara — December 12, 2011 @ 8:12 AM

Oh my, I love almond roca and this looks so easy! Cannot wait to try it.

Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray — December 12, 2011 @ 9:59 AM

I would never guess from looking at this candy that it’s this easy to make! This is definitely a treat where presentation makes it seem super fancy. :)

Kathy F. — December 12, 2011 @ 11:10 AM

This looks so delicious and easy too! I do have one question though, I love the fact you do not need a thermometer but I am so anal that I feel I need to use one so what temp would it require and for how long??

shelly (cookies and cups) — December 12, 2011 @ 2:50 PM

It’s one of my favorites too! I could eat the entire batch myself..I mean, I THINK I could, because I totally haven’t ever tried..ahem.

nicole {sweet peony} — December 12, 2011 @ 3:21 PM

holy yum this looks too good… i think i’d eat the whole pan!

Barbara — December 12, 2011 @ 4:09 PM

Oh my. That is a killer recipe, Lori. I don’t make a lot of candy (the cookies are bad enough) but you’ve hit on one I love.

Marty — December 12, 2011 @ 6:06 PM

Never made anything like this but it seems so easy! May package this in little baggies and ribbon to give to the other teachers in my grade level. Perfect treat for gifting!

theblindbride — December 12, 2011 @ 7:23 PM

Wish I had seen this earlier! Would have used it for tomorrow’s swap! Looks so good!

Susie — December 12, 2011 @ 9:07 PM

That looks fabulous! I may need to make some to send to MT.

Robyn | Add a Pinch — December 12, 2011 @ 9:07 PM

Oh my goodness, Lori! This looks gorgeous! I’m drooling!!!

Lauren — December 13, 2011 @ 7:14 AM

You just make this look so easy!! And, teaching me how to make this can only result in me having to buy bigger pants. FYI.

Steve @ the black peppercorn — December 13, 2011 @ 7:55 AM

Oh CRAP! I am freaking out right now. I have had and love almond roca! I buy Skor chocolate bars cause it is kinda close to them. This recipe looks so easy! I am seriously going to make these maybe even this week. I am excited now!

Krissy @ Krissy's Creations — December 13, 2011 @ 9:31 AM

What a great to candy to make for homemade Christmas gifts :) . Looks incredible!!

Asmita — December 13, 2011 @ 4:21 PM

Simply delicious and gorgeous pictures!

paula — December 13, 2011 @ 5:19 PM

i have made Almond Roca for years – my fave too! But, you did a few things different that I am going to try this year – toast the almonds and use candy bars instead of choc. chips. Thanks for the ideas!

Erin — December 13, 2011 @ 10:08 PM

Oh my gosh! The timing on this couldn’t be better. I made a family recipe recently and it didn’t turn out… the chocolate separated from the toffee and the almonds didn’t really stick.. it was a mess. Thank you for sharing this – I’ll be cooking this tomorrow with my gramma :)

Jesica @ Pencil Kitchen — December 14, 2011 @ 11:36 PM

How i wish i could be somewhere nearer to you, so you can gift me those candies you’ve been making… I absolutely loved how it looks… And when i read the steps, i couldn’t believe something this beautiful and complicated is actually so easy :)

Sharon — December 15, 2011 @ 12:44 PM

Sold! I have a batch in the fridge right now. Almond Roca was my favorite “treat” candy when I was little. Eating it made me feel grown up, but now making it has made me feel like a kid again. Thank you!!

ginaD — December 16, 2011 @ 4:02 AM

I have made this 3 times so far. It is probably the single best recipe I have tried in a very long time. Amazing. Thank you!!!!

Michele — December 16, 2011 @ 8:11 AM

Love it! Though a quick question. My chocolate seems to come away from the toffee. Any ideas why ??

• Lori Lange replied: — December 16th, 2011 @ 6:07 PM

I did a little bit of research on this and came up with this recommendation: Since toffee tends to be so buttery, you might try sprinkling a bit of cocoa powder onto the toffee before you place the chocolate bars on top. I’d do this with a sieve or a sifter so you could get a nice, even powdering. The cocoa powder apparently acts as an absorbent for the fat so that the chocolate is able to adhere better. I haven’t tried this yet, but it seems like it’s worth a shot to me! Hope this helps!

Erin — December 16, 2011 @ 1:37 PM

Okay…. saw it… had to make it… did make it but one problem…. when “cutting” it up on about half of the bars, the chocolate layer seperated from the toffee layer…. what happened? It is delicious though – going to chop up all the seperated bits and use as ice cream topping, cake topping, etc… but just curious for next time!

• Lori Lange replied: — December 16th, 2011 @ 6:08 PM

Please see my response to Michele re: the same issue.

Michele — December 16, 2011 @ 9:04 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try that next time. Btw everyone I have given some to love it.

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — December 17, 2011 @ 8:26 AM

Someone @ work made this & it was amazing! I still have a little bag left, trying to savor every bite.

Loree — December 17, 2011 @ 10:41 AM

After two attempts I am throwing in the towel. I burned the first batch of toffee. The second batch was going well (at a lower temp), but separated around 9 minutes. Anyone else have this problem? Soooo disappointed!

• Lori Lange replied: — December 17th, 2011 @ 10:51 AM

Shoot. It’s hard to say what went wrong :(

Pam — December 17, 2011 @ 2:11 PM

Hi Lori, I have always been intimidated with making anything like this, but after looking at your recipes and pictures, I was excited to try it!
    My first attempt, not good, I was trying to go by the time and let brown sugar mixture go 12 minutes, however, it quickly went from caramel looking to burnt!
    Second time around, went more by eye, and got a much better result! Finished product So tastey and delicious!
    Thank you for the recipe. I am anxious to share the results with friends and family!
    Pam

Roberta — December 17, 2011 @ 4:18 PM

The sugar crystallized, any ideas? I did it on a low boil? :(

• Lori Lange replied: — December 17th, 2011 @ 4:49 PM

That happened to me on first try. I thought perhaps the heat was too low. If you keep it on medium to medium-high (depending on your stove), it should be good- just be careful of boiling too rapidly and pull it off if it turns a nice caramel color (as in my photos) before the 12 minutes is up.

Dawn — December 18, 2011 @ 8:01 AM

Made this just now. A HUGE disaster!!!!! The butter completely separated from the brown sugar at 7 min in and just pooled at the end of the pan that I didn’t fill. What did I do wrong?

• Lori Lange replied: — December 18th, 2011 @ 8:11 AM

I would imagine it had something to do with the temperature. I made mine without a candy thermometer with success, but you might wish to stick an instant read thermometer in there just to make sure it’s *about* the right temperature for toffee. Pull it off the heat when it has reached the hard-crack stage (300 degrees F)- if it gets higher than 320, it will not remain solid.

Lacey — December 18, 2011 @ 9:34 AM

I made it the other day. It was so easy to make and so yummy to eat.

I didn’t have any chocolate bars, but I always have a stock of couverture chocolate chunks on hand. Once I made the toffee part, I melted 6.25oz of chocolate and poured it over the toffee. I did not temper the chocolate.

I let it sit for several hours and then popped it in the fridge for about 20 min just before removing it from the pan. The toffee did not easily release from the pan. I had to use a knife to break it up to get it out. As I broke the toffee up, much of the chocolate separated from it. I see that this happened to other readers as well.

If I make it again (I’m pretty sure I will), I think I will dip individual pieces in tempered chocolate and then sprinkle with chopped almonds.

Thank you for sharing the recipe!

• Lori Lange replied: — December 18th, 2011 @ 9:45 AM

Hi Lacey, For what it’s worth- I’ve read some other recipes for almond roca that recommend using a cheaper brand of chocolate (like Hershey’s bars). Premium brands – because they have different percentages of cocoa or cocoa butter, can tend to cause problems when paired with the toffee. Make sure your pan is well buttered- mine popped right out of the pan in one big slab!

Ruth Montgomery — December 18, 2011 @ 9:52 AM

I was thinking of making it with a dark chocolate, but am concerned now that I’ve read your comment about using cheaper brands whether it will work. Have you ever tried it with a dark chocolate?

• Lori Lange replied: — December 18th, 2011 @ 9:59 AM

I haven’t- but Hershey’s makes a dark chocolate too!

Margaret — December 18, 2011 @ 2:20 PM

I’ve made mine with bittersweet chocolate – the batch I made earlier this week was great and I just finished making a batch for hubby to take to work tomorrow.

Johana — December 20, 2011 @ 6:43 AM

I made my first batch last night and it came out so good!!!! I didnt use a thermometer for the brown sugar and it came out fine I let it boil on med heat and pulled out right before the 12 minutes, the chocolate and the caramel did not separate at all and I used hershey chocolate bars, the one thing that it was kind of difficult wa getting the almond rica out of the container!!!! I put it in the freezer for about 30 mins and I just couldn’t take it out, after poking it for about 10 minutes finally some pieces started to come out, my advice is eat this after it has cooled completely or even the next day it tastes so much better the next day yuuuuuummmm!!!! :D

heather — December 20, 2011 @ 5:00 PM

I’m making this tonight! So excited!! :)

Matt — December 21, 2011 @ 8:00 PM

I am by no means a chef, but a decent baker. I have never tried making a candy (nor do I have a candy thermometer laying around). But I must lay claim that my first batch of these came out near perfect. Not to mention, they were a HUGE hit at our Christmas dinner party this past Sunday.

I pulled the toffee off the stove right at 12 minutes while keeping it at a slight boil (perhaps 1-2 bubbles a second) and stirred it continuously throughout. I did have some difficulty getting it to spread evenly in the pan (I used a 12×10 round-ended pan with three large bars of Hershey); after pouring it in it immediately started to solidify. But I eventually got it to go. It left a nice sticky mess on everything!

The only difference I’ve noticed is that we need to keep our bars in the fridge, otherwise they lose their crunch. Also, refrigerating them brings out the salty flavor of the salted almonds, they are delicious like this.

Any suggestions for the next go-round so that I don’t have to keep them in the fridge? Perhaps I wasn’t at the right temperature for the toffee?

• Lori Lange replied: — December 22nd, 2011 @ 6:23 AM

Perhaps… glad you were able to have success without a candy thermometer, but it might have been temp that is preventing the toffee from hardening completely at room temperature.

Sharon — December 23, 2011 @ 11:22 PM

One of my childhood favorites, too! I couldn’t believe this could be so easy, and I’m a convert now. Wish I’d seen the cocoa powder tip, because my chocolate layer did separate, but the candy tasted so good I didn’t care. Just posted my efforts with a shout out to you for the recipe. Thank you!

Kris — December 25, 2011 @ 6:05 PM

I made it, I love it, I can’t stop eating it!!!
    Thanks Lori, a new Christmas favourite!

Kevin — December 26, 2011 @ 6:49 AM

Easiest recipe ever (candy thermometer made me 100% confident of the toffee) to make a killer favorite treat. Just made it today, 1st time, the pan is cooling outside. Taste tests are a success… “The waiting is the hardest part!”

vanillasugarblog — December 28, 2011 @ 2:44 PM

my hubbys’ all time favorite.
    i’ve always wanted to do these with macadamia’s–expensive but so worth it don’t you think?

Leah — December 28, 2011 @ 8:05 PM

Huge score! Turned out great – I didn’t have any problems with the cooking and used cocoa as recommended to prevent separating. This was way yummy and super easy and will become a holiday staple at our house!

Angela — January 14, 2012 @ 7:51 AM

Without ever having eaten Almond Roca, I wanted to make this as soon as I saw the recipe. Since we didn’t leave our house for Christmas (shocker! but we live out of the country so no family to visit) I had to wait until I could make it and take it somewhere – yay for Bunco. This is like crack! Soooo good. I timed and used a thermometer for the butter/sugar mixture and it took me close to 15 minutes to get it to 300 degrees. Also, the butter here is a bit funky so my only problem was that my butter separated some from the sugar and rose to the top over the chocolate. It wasn’t as pretty as your pictures but tasted like heaven!!!!! Good thing you warned of how good it was and I’m glad the whole pan isn’t here with me. Thanks for this fabulous recipe! Making the Red Velvet Cheesecake Cake for next months Bunco :)

LoraJ — January 22, 2012 @ 6:17 AM

“This should keep just fine ….. for a couple of weeks.”
    yeah right – there is no way they will last that long! lol these are too yummy! i saw this recipe on facebook just before christmas and asked my daughter to make them for me as her gift to me – great gift idea. my only complaint is they are WAAAAAAYYY too good!!!

• Lori Lange replied: — January 22nd, 2012 @ 9:38 AM

lol, glad you liked it so much. I had a tough time staying away from it too!

Jenni — February 19, 2012 @ 8:35 PM

any idea what the nutritional facts are? im diabetic and they look fabulous!!!!

• Lori Lange replied: — February 20th, 2012 @ 6:53 AM

no idea on this one…

Sis — May 4, 2012 @ 8:12 AM

Could this be mailed during the summer and how would you recommend doing it?

• Lori Lange replied: — May 4th, 2012 @ 10:16 AM

I don’t think I’d recommend it!

sandy — May 30, 2012 @ 11:53 PM

Didn’t find this recipe any good either quantities were out but make heaps of things cooking 30 years I threw it out sorry!!!

alan — May 31, 2012 @ 5:30 PM

Sorry, I tried this twice and it just doesn’t work out with the timings or the temperature suggestions you have made. The sugar and butter separates before it gets to either 12 min or 300 degrees. Must be missing something here…any dieas? I’m surprised that i didn’t get this right, being pretty well experienced in the kitchen…

• Lori Lange replied: — May 31st, 2012 @ 10:09 PM

not sure… I added lots of extra tips for help. None of that helped?

Wanda — July 24, 2012 @ 4:28 PM

I just finished making the Almond Roca, it turned out perfect and it is so good. Much better than other recipes that I have made in the past. It was hard to wait for it to cool!. My adult grandson requested this for his birthday present. Works for me,

Lindsay — August 29, 2012 @ 1:48 PM

I made this last night and it was delicious – it started to smoke at about 11 minutes, so I took it off before it started to burn. I made a couple changes and it still turned out perfectly. I am obsessed with the chocolate/bacon craze that seems to be everywhere, so I added a few bacon bits into the mixture as well as a little maple syrup. I used unsalted nuts, so I also sprinkled some sea salt on the top of the chocolate. YUMMY!

• Lori Lange replied: — August 30th, 2012 @ 1:37 PM

Love the bacon and maple addition!

Jeri Burbage — October 13, 2012 @ 9:12 AM

Almond Roca is by far my FAVORITE candy! YUM and THANKS for sharing!

Sarah — November 10, 2012 @ 4:31 PM

My husband & I went home to Maine to visit my family and I wanted to bring homemade candy as gifts to everyone. I found this recipe and it was so easy to make! I made two batches. I found candy boxes at Michaels and filled them with the rocca. All of my family LOVED it! Thanks for sharing this recipe, I will be making it again and again!

Anita — November 13, 2012 @ 8:48 PM

I love almond roca, and I’m super excited to try out this recipe. I just have one question. Can I use dark chocolate chips to substitute for the Hershey’s bars? but should I use the cocoa powder as you suggest in order that the chocolate does not separate from the toffee.
    Thanks!!

• Lori Lange replied: — November 15th, 2012 @ 5:38 AM

Yes, that should probably work out just fine, though I’m worried about the chips melting as easily as the chocolate bars do… and I’d still try the cocoa powder.

Pam Ayers — November 19, 2012 @ 7:27 AM

What size hershey bars did you use, the single size, or the big bars?

• Lori Lange replied: — November 19th, 2012 @ 8:46 AM

regular sized– like you buy at the checkout counter.

Scott — December 11, 2012 @ 4:48 PM

So first batch I made worked great. Was a big hit with my family. My second batch didn’t work out for some reason it was still to soft and sugary.
    Not wanting to waste all that product I took another pot of quarter stick of butter half cup of milk got it nice and hot ( not boiling ) and added price by price the failed Rocca and melted it all. Boiled it again for about 6-7 minutes and poured into pre greased pan thru it into the fridge. ( fudge like was very good )

Cookies made outta
    2nd failed batch. Guess got to hot liquified. Not wanting to waste anothe batch of failed mix ( no chocolate lay was in this batch ).

Took the failed. ( 1cup butter and 1 cup brown sugar and layer of almonds )
    I put it into a bowl let it cool
    In another bowl I mixed
    2-1/4cup white flour
    1-1/2tsp baking powder
    1tsp salt

In second bowl ( cooled failed mix )
    I added 2-3 teaspoons vanilla mix well
    Add 1 Egg mix well

Slowly add flour mixture ( I added in five dumps )

made into balls smaller than a golf ball got about thirty to thirty two cookies
    Almond cookies
    Cooked at 360-365′f 10-12 mins
    Awesome nice cookie

• Lori Lange replied: — December 11th, 2012 @ 7:05 PM

Wow! Thanks for your tips on what to do with a failed batch! Glad the first one worked out. It all has to do with temperature.

dave — December 12, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

This turned out PERFECT, as always Lori, a recipe worthy for the box. Thanks so much for the wonderful photos !! I made your Christmas recipes last year, and this year I went to your website first !! I’ll be using your recipes for other meals too !! They all are out of this world good.

Richard — December 13, 2012 @ 4:08 PM

I was reading the reviews and saw that some had the butter and sugar separate. I made a similar recipe about 10 years ago, it stated that if it separated just keep stirring over the heat and it would come back together. Well mine separated, I kept stirring and within about 2 minutes it did just that it came back together. I hope this helps.

I will try your recipe (as I lost the other one from 10 years ago). It sounds like it should turn out great.

Jen Loftus — December 13, 2012 @ 5:24 PM

Could this recipe be doubled??

• Lori Lange replied: — December 13th, 2012 @ 9:23 PM

I’d stick with one batch, and then make another if you’re successful with the first.

Heather — December 16, 2012 @ 5:05 PM

My mom started making this when I was in high school (I am now 41). The directions she had ~ although she used white sugar~ said it is done when it is the color of peanut butter…don’t know if that will help some. Or if it is different for brown sugar.

Heather — December 16, 2012 @ 5:07 PM

BTW~ I WILL be trying the brown sugar recipe! I think it will be really good!

Linda — December 18, 2012 @ 6:30 PM

Didn’t work well for me. The butter never got incorporated into the sugar. It reached 302 and I took it off but it wasn’t the nice light brown color that yours was. I used dark brown sugar, but that shouldn’t make a difference. It was really liquid with butter on top. Just never set up well.

Jett — December 21, 2012 @ 11:28 AM

My first cut into my slab also made the toffee bottom separate from the chocolate top. I think it has a lot to do with the chocolate cracking away before even reaching the toffee layer. As I worked my way through the slab I got better. I tried using a hot knife which was a bit too cumbersome having to warm it up between each slice. What worked best was to just quickly saw my serrated knife back and forth- the friction melts the chocolate, and then the toffee layer breaks when it’s ready to along the line you are scoring in. There were still a few casualties, but far less than the first method. Don’t use force to cut it apart, just let your knife do the work for you.

If I were to make this again (and I just might do so very soon depending on if it survives the next couple days) I would try to work my chocolate layer a little deeper into the toffee layer rather than having it sit just on top.

Overall a very yummy recipe. Fiddly, yes, but I think it gets better with practice.

• Lori Lange replied: — December 21st, 2012 @ 1:26 PM

I agree- better with practice!

Jett — December 21, 2012 @ 11:36 AM

I also did this recipe with 1cup butter and 1 3/4 c light brown sugar based on Internet searches for similar recipes. I don’t know how much of a difference that makes compared to the 1:1 ratio here. I also saw 1:1.5 and 1:2 (butter to sugar).

Sabrina — December 21, 2012 @ 6:16 PM

Great recipe so simple and delish love it thank u :)

MIndy — December 24, 2012 @ 4:03 AM

I made this last night it turned out perfect I used dark brown sugar because that was all I had handy …I sent the recipe out on facebook I was so pleased with the results. Thank you the directions were easy to follow…this is going to become a family favorite I just know it!

Kathie B — December 24, 2012 @ 10:36 AM

Just tried your receipe. Looks good but I’m wondering if I used the right size chocolate bars???? I used 1 1/2 – 7oz bars. I’m wondering if I should have used the smaller bars that might be thinner? What do you recommend?

• Lori Lange replied: — December 27th, 2012 @ 7:44 AM

I use the regular-sized chocolate bars.

Babs — January 5, 2013 @ 10:06 AM

THANK YOU for the wonderful recipe for Almond Roca !!! I am especially pleased that it is made with no corn syrup ! YAY!

Faith — January 9, 2013 @ 6:42 AM

Thank you so much for this recipe! What type of camera do you use? Your pictures are so clear! :)

• Lori Lange replied: — January 9th, 2013 @ 7:55 PM

Thank you! I use a Canon- 7D at the moment.

Janet johnson — January 25, 2013 @ 1:13 PM

I let my candy start hardening in the pan or a big cookie sheet then wipe the excess oil from toffee off with a paper towel. When completely cool, I melt my Hershey bars over a double boiler and spread it over toffee. I sprinkle finely chopped walnuts on top of chocolate. Then let it set till the next day to let chocolate firm up.

It might be the brand of butter people us that makes it separate when cooking the toffee. But that one man is right just keep stirring and cooking and it will come back together. When the color turns caramel dump in your lightly buttered pan and spread. All is not lost because it separates! Costco butter works best for me. King Soopers seems to separate. I am going to try your recipe with the brown sugar and salted almonds!

nova — February 10, 2013 @ 7:01 AM

What good does it do to publish your recipes without proportions? Some butter… I can see it’s 2 cubes, or is it more?… next brown sugar… um? how much please… I mean you’re using Hershey bars…so it’s not like it’s some totally original made up recipe. Please share. Thx

• Lori Lange replied: — February 10th, 2013 @ 8:48 AM

Did you read through to the end? The printable recipe is included in the post- it’s at the end- proportions and all!

Nova — February 15, 2013 @ 11:02 PM

My apology— don’t know how I missed that! I looked and looked, apparently not good enough. Thanks! Now I can try it again.

Shannon Christi — March 10, 2013 @ 10:02 PM

Suddenly my brown sugar keeps curdling. What is causing that?

• Lori Lange replied: — March 11th, 2013 @ 7:05 AM

It probably has something to do with the temperature. Candy making can be tricky!

Kimi — August 17, 2013 @ 11:05 PM

Just gave this recipe a try and 12 minutes at medium/medium low was way too hot for the toffee. I didn’t understand what you meant by, “if it gets higher than 320, it will not remain solid.” Now I know that means when the mixture starts to separate (the oil starts to separate from the sugar). I didn’t use a thermometer, but I never had the stove higher than medium and it started to separate around 7 minutes.

Could you please update your instructions accordingly so other people don’t burn their toffee? The sugar/butter mixture separated or broke when it overheated. I don’t think your description was very clear.

Thanks!

• Lori Lange replied: — August 18th, 2013 @ 10:14 PM

Just did- thank you!

Kathleen Clegg — October 14, 2013 @ 6:56 PM

My mom loves Almond Roca. I think I will make this for her. Yum.

Kat Meller — October 16, 2013 @ 4:52 AM

ok now THIS will definitely be on the list of things to make for the holidays …. do we start with Thanksgiving or wait till Christmas??? oh heck looks like both!
    thanks for sharing.

Kirsten — October 19, 2013 @ 9:54 AM

Ok so I made this yesterday, you know just to start getting ready for Christmas……..not to eat it all or anything;) my toffee and chocolate did separate a bit and the toffee was a little grainy. I will try making it again, just wondering if you think I maybe got the toffee too hot? It still tastes super yummy and is amazing ontop of ice cream!

• Lori Lange replied: — October 21st, 2013 @ 7:55 AM

I’m not an expert on candy making, so I’m afraid I cannot pinpoint your problem… but this one does take a little practice to perfect!

Mary Anne fox — October 21, 2013 @ 4:49 PM

The altitude makes a difference as does your stove. But what really makes a difference is your pan. Use a heavy duty pan. I use an old presto pressure cooker sans the lid. Some pans burn the mixture before it gets to hard crack stage. If a batch fails make Caramel sauce with it. I have made delicious caramel and hot fudge ice cream topping from my failures, just add milk and thin back down. People alway s want the recipe for my oops.

Sally — October 30, 2013 @ 6:05 AM

I just made a batch last night using another recipe and it turned out very well. The recipe called for 2 tablespoons of water to be added together with the butter and sugar. Some has said that it would prevent the butter from separating. Perhaps that will be the solution for some of the readers.

• Lori Lange replied: — October 30th, 2013 @ 7:22 AM

Thank you for the tip!

Wowee zowie — October 30, 2013 @ 11:45 AM

Worked like a charm first time! Except I chopped it upside down and all the chocolate fell off. I also used too much butter and had to pour it off. Maybe that’s why the chocolate was loose.

Sooooo good!

Jessica — November 16, 2013 @ 10:09 AM

I finally got the nerve to try this recipe and it turned out great! I was nervous because of all of the comments, but it worked for me! Thank you for a wonderful treat!

• Lori Lange replied: — November 17th, 2013 @ 9:48 PM

Glad to hear!

Ana — November 19, 2013 @ 1:13 PM

Hi lori,
    Can i use chocolate chips instead of chocolate bars?

• Lori Lange replied: — November 20th, 2013 @ 10:49 AM

Probably. Haven’t tried it!

Sweet cook — November 25, 2013 @ 8:28 PM

I tried to make this but the oil separated from the sugar. Does that mean it was cooking for too long?
    It started separating around the 9 minute mark – does that mean next time I should take it off around then?
    It looked like the right consistency around the 8 minute mark… I put a small blob on a small plate and tasted it, it was still a little gooey but a minute later the oil started separating (at 9 minutes).
    Also I noticed right from the beginning my mixture looked darker than yours, does that mean I used too much brown sugar?
    I also do not have salted butter on me, but I used regalar butter with a small pinch of salt, is this okay?
    Thanks, I would really appreciate your feedback! :)

• Lori Lange replied: — November 25th, 2013 @ 8:54 PM

I really wish I was a candy expert and could answer all of your questions. Usually problems with how it turns out are related to temperature- yours might have been done sooner than 9 minutes, etc. Type of butter used would only affect the flavor. Reading through the comments may help- others have offered tips along the way.

Sweet cook — November 25, 2013 @ 8:59 PM

I actually did read through all the comments and I do not have a candy thermometer. Do you recommend taking it out at the 9 minute mark , just before I notice the oil separate from the sugar?

Shauna — November 26, 2013 @ 7:34 PM

The quality of butter matters. Use a good name brand butter. Store brand butters are just fine for many things, but when it comes to making almond roca I have never had a batch turn out well that I made with a store brand butter. It either separates or it sugars….or both!

• Lori Lange replied: — November 27th, 2013 @ 6:48 AM

I agree!

Jennifer — December 4, 2013 @ 8:30 AM

OK… Made it and it is as delicious as I remember it being! However, the chocolate layer won’t stick to the toffee layer… what can I do???

• Lori Lange replied: — December 5th, 2013 @ 7:15 AM

Sometimes a light dusting of cocoa powder between the toffee and chocolate helps to adhere.

Louise — December 8, 2013 @ 4:15 PM

The reason most people have such an issue with this recipe is because it’s a poor recipe. When you quickly heat butter and sugar at a medium-high temperature, the possibility for it burning is great. I’ve made toffee for 15 years and had misplaced my recipe. I used this one as a substitute. Before my mixture could even reach 300 it was burning. And once it’s burnt… you’re done for. It’s not that practice makes perfect, its just a bad recipe.

Find one that starts at medium and allows everything to melt, and then barely increases the temperature. You may have to stand and stir a little bit longer than 12 minutes, but as long as you stir, you’re almost guaranteed to not burn it…unlike this ‘quick fix’ recipe.

Desiree — December 12, 2013 @ 11:59 AM

Made a double batch of this last night (my first almond roca attempt ever!) & it turned out delish!! Mine took quite a bit longer than 12 minutes to get to 300 degrees (at 12 minutes, it was still too much like caramel – probably took closer to 15-17 minutes). I was able to just eye-ball it as well, and when the butter had just started to pull away from the sugar, I pulled it off. Since it continues to heat a bit more afterward, it almost separated too much, but I poured it over the almonds anyway, threw on a half semi-sweet, half milk chocolate chips mixture, waited a few minutes and spread it out over the toffee with the back of a spoon, & then put it in the refrigerator. I checked on it this morning and popped a piece off of the corner, and it tasted so yummy! I’m not sure why the poster above me has to be so negative – the recipe says to turn it down to medium low when it starts to GENTLY bubble… by the time it heats up to medium high, if you’ve been diligent about stirring it, it shouldn’t burn. If you’re worried about it burning while your burner temperature works its way back down to medium low, remove it from the burner for a few seconds, or lift it above the burner while you stir.

Patricia Miller — December 16, 2013 @ 5:12 AM

The first time I made this I had terrible results. I was SO disappointed! I always use a candy thermometer and so I cooked it to exactly 300. But it was separated and not right at all. But I’ve made several of your recipes before and always had great results so I forced myself to try it again. The second time I didn’t use a thermometer and instead cooked it for exactly 12 minutes like you said – making sure that it looked like yours did in the pictures. Worked like a charm! These taste amazing and are going in my gift baskets. Thanks for your detailed instructions and helpful pictures!

• Lori Lange replied: — December 16th, 2013 @ 6:36 AM

I’m so glad to hear that- thank you!!!

Taraz — December 17, 2013 @ 4:05 PM

You should add some corn syrup (maybe a tablespoon) to your recipe to prevent crystallization.

Also, adding a tiny bit of cream of tartar at the beginning, and a bit of baking soda at the end causes bubbles in the toffee, resulting in a lighter end product.

Melissa Cook — December 22, 2013 @ 2:07 PM

Just made this! Amazing!!!!! Hubby loved it! Making more tonight :)

Stephanie — December 24, 2013 @ 4:03 AM

Help please I need some help I made this last night and my toffee came out chewy was wondering if I cooked too long or not long enough? You can email me back I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

• Lori Lange replied: — December 24th, 2013 @ 6:19 AM

It sounds like the toffee did not cook long enough.

Heather — December 24, 2013 @ 3:40 PM

So I tried the recipe according to your “printable” recipe and it failed miserably. The butter and sugar remained separated the entire cooking process, even with constant stirring, it reached the 300 mark and burned. I tried again and realized a huge difference is that instead of melting the butter first as it says in the printable recipe directions and then adding the brown sugar, it works best to melt sugar and butter together (more like I saw in your picture directions). That way the sugar and butter combined together right from the start and create the nice gooey toffee that I saw in your pictures.

Beth w — January 3, 2014 @ 6:28 AM

I’ve been making almond roca for years–got the recipe from a family friend. My mom tried a few times and she failed, so i am now the family almond roca maker.

A few comments–my recipe is 2 cups of white sugar and one pound of butter. I always buy unsalted butter, but you need salted for this to work. I always have to add 1/2 tsp salt to my butter, so with Lori’s recipe, you may need to add 1/4 tsp salt if using unsalted butter.

I also don’t use a candy thermometer, but the watching the toffee is key. Again, this might be slightly different since this recipe calls for brown sugar, but the mixture usually will initially be separated, then come together and really be kind of sticking to itself in the pan. When I swirl it with my wooden spoon, it all kind of moves together. I know it’s ready when the mixture starts sticking again to the edges of the pan itself of just sticking all to itself. For me, it can take from 15-25 minutes to make (on medium heat), and it’s really just something i have to watch in the pan and judge when it’s starting to stick to the edges of the pan that it’s done.

I always use semi-sweet chocolate chips and dump them on shortly after (~5 min) I pour the toffee into my jelly roll pan. Generally I only make this for Christmas, so i usually just put the pan out in the garage to cool. When I did make it for friends in May, I put the pan in the freezer to cool. I would be hesitant to mail it to people in the summertime for fears of it melting.

One final note–store it in its own container, not with other Christmas cookies. I’d never had this happen until this year, but I stored the almond roca with other Christmas cookies to make a cookie plate, and the toffee ended up soft (should be nice and hard). Still tasted ok, but not at all like I wanted it to be. ;)

Also, i have family with nut allergies, so I’ve been making “almond” roca without almonds the past few years. Maybe this now technically is a “brickle”–just toffee and chocolate, but it’s still almond roca to me. :)

Meital — January 6, 2014 @ 9:21 AM

Hi,
    this looks great, but I’m a vegan. Any idea if I can use coconut oil instead? Or even cocoa butter?
    Thanks.

• Lori Lange replied: — January 9th, 2014 @ 8:22 AM

I am not familiar at all w/ Vegan cooking- sorry!

Aleli Soliman — January 6, 2014 @ 9:27 AM

Mine turned out ugly but will retry this recipe. I must have over boiled the butter/sugar mixture and did not stir it constantly. Not giving up =).

Susan F. — January 6, 2014 @ 4:14 PM

Oh, this is very dangerous!!! I’m trapped inside and have all the ingredients to make this. Our can of Almond Rocha just ran dry. Think I will love this!!!!!!!! Thank You

Anastasia — January 7, 2014 @ 12:55 AM

Is it supposed to be crispy or shewy? Can’t tell.

• Lori Lange replied: — January 9th, 2014 @ 8:20 AM

Almond Roca is a crunchy candy.