Candied Bacon

What I’m about to share with you today is so incredible that I’m just going to go ahead and apologize in advance for the massive cravings that might ensue after reading this post.  I made this bacon as a snack, you see… an after-school snack.  My son had asked me if I could whip up a little something for him to nibble on while tackling his math homework, and I brought him this: Candied Bacon

He looked at me all wide eyed and surprised, took a bite, and then he delivered a very enthusiastic, “THANK YOU!”  I understood his enthusiasm.  I had already sampled my slice of bacon, and I was definitely wishing I’d made more!  This stuff is good.  SOOOOO good.  Really good.  Like, you’ll be craving-it-in-your-sleep good!

You’ll need just three ingredients-  bacon, brown sugar and cinnamon.  That’s it.

Mix the sugar and cinnamon, then coat the bacon slices generously with it.

You’ll be baking this bacon, so place it on a rack that has been set on a foil- lined, rimmed pan.  I like to poke the bacon down through the rack in a few places so it gets that wavy look when it’s done.

And then let the oven do its magic.  The bacon gets all caramelized and candied and wonderful.

If you can manage to get the bacon to a plate without eating it all first, you can serve it up for breakfast.  But I’m envisioning much more than breakfast for this bacon!  I see it in chocolate chip cookies.  I see it sprinkled on top of maple cupcakes.  I see it in my dinner salad.  And I see it crunched into pancakes too.  Are you craving it with me now?

Print Print Recipe
Save Save Recipe

Candied Bacon

Yield: 12 slices of bacon

Prep Time: 15 min

Cook Time: 15 min

Addicting. Seriously.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
12 slices center-cut bacon (don't use extra-thick bacon)

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and set a rack on top (like a cookie cooling rack). Spray the rack with nonstick spray.

2. Mix the sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Dip bacon slices in the cinnamon-sugar, coating both sides, and place the coated bacon strips on the rack. I like to poke the bacon into the grooves of the rack in a few places so your bacon will come out looking a little wavy.

3. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until the bacon appears to be caramelized and somewhat crispy. Watch closely after 15 minutes since the sugar can begin to burn when left in too long. Serve immediately.

Tips:

*If you are preparing this recipe as gluten-free, just be sure to use a brand of bacon that is known to be GF.

Source: RecipeGirl.com

50 Responses to “Candied Bacon”

Kathryn — April 13, 2012 @ 3:05 AM

You are definitely the best mom in the world! This looks immense!

raquel@eRecipe.com — April 13, 2012 @ 4:28 AM

Drooling on this bacon is an understatement! I literally want to pull out the bacon on the monitor. My craving for this is instantly turned on and I can smell it from here. =)

Vanessa — April 13, 2012 @ 5:15 AM

Wow! This looks so good, I’m not even sure how to react. I want to eat it through the monitor ;-)

shelly (cookies and cups) — April 13, 2012 @ 5:38 AM

I need this. Like ASAP.

TidyMom — April 13, 2012 @ 5:48 AM

oh this sounds incredible Lori!!

I dip my bacon in flour and bake it, it gives it a delicious crust, I can’t wait to try this!

Jenny Flake — April 13, 2012 @ 5:52 AM

LOVE sweet crispy bacon, there is little that is better in my book! Drooling before 6am :) xoxo

Amy @ The Blond Cook — April 13, 2012 @ 5:53 AM

My-my. Want—NOW. I’ve never cooked (or eaten) candied bacon. My hubby will love you for sharing this. :-)

Melissa M — April 13, 2012 @ 6:24 AM

Candied bacon chocolate chip cookies. I think I smell a new Xmas cookie!

Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables — April 13, 2012 @ 6:42 AM

I can’t even imagine how great this would be crumbled into a salad! Forget the candied nuts :)

Lauren — April 13, 2012 @ 7:25 AM

I want to eat it ALL!!! Ahh! Looks so good!

Ben — April 13, 2012 @ 8:38 AM

Thanks for apologizing first. I kept reading under my own risk and now I need to get me a bacon fix :)

hobby baker — April 13, 2012 @ 9:12 AM

Oh My Delish! And this looks less messy to prepare than the maple syrup version I’ve done. :)

HipMamaB — April 13, 2012 @ 9:54 AM

this restaurant by me does this, but also adds hot red pepper flakes! OMG the bacon, sugar and hot pepper is AH-MA-ZING. They call it “man candy” LOL

Annamaria at Bakewell Junction — April 13, 2012 @ 10:11 AM

Wow! This looks amazing. Can’t wait to try it.

Cassie — April 13, 2012 @ 12:35 PM

This could not be more scrumptious. My mouth is watering!

RecipeGirl's Mom — April 13, 2012 @ 3:38 PM

This sounds absolutely wonderful and is simple to do gluten free. Can’t wait to try it on GF pancakes and waffles! Yum!

Lori Lange — April 13, 2012 @ 8:18 PM

Fun- will try that way too!

Chung-Ah | Damn Delicious — April 13, 2012 @ 8:47 PM

Oh my – this is quite painful to look at when I’m trying to be healthy. Oh well, you only live once, right?

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — April 14, 2012 @ 4:52 AM

I’m not a bacon fan because of calories! :( But I would so love to make this for my Husband! He would LOVE it!!! I’m thinking of making it this morning than bringing some in to his work. His whole work has a bacon fetish!!

Barbara | Creative Culinary — April 14, 2012 @ 10:10 AM

Try it sometime with a hot component like cayenne too. I wrap brown sugar/cayenne coated bacon around a pretzel and bake it. One of our most favorite appetizers EVER.

Erin — April 14, 2012 @ 11:37 AM

Oh yes yes yes. When I made Jessica’s (How Sweet It Is) candied bacon pb cookies I had to make extra candied bacon than the recipe caeld for because I ate a lot of it before I could even make the cookies.l

The Hungry Housewife — April 14, 2012 @ 1:19 PM

I make this a lot..well not a lot because it is too tempting, but maybe once a month. Sometimes I add a tiny pinch of cayenne pepper. YUM

Rhonda — April 14, 2012 @ 2:04 PM

To take it over the top, dip it in melted semi-sweet chocolate with a bit of cayenne pepper mixed in and let the chocolate harden.

Carrie @ Bakeaholic Mama — April 14, 2012 @ 3:20 PM

Candied Bacon makes my heart flutter. So much I love about it <3

Cristina — April 14, 2012 @ 5:49 PM

What a perfect snack!!

Karen @ Sugartown Sweets — April 14, 2012 @ 8:22 PM

Yes! I am craving it now! This stuff looks so delicious. Thanks for such a great idea. :)

Jessica @ Portuguese Girl Cooks — April 14, 2012 @ 8:31 PM

Thank goodness I don’t keep bacon in the house because this could be dangerous!

Tina — April 15, 2012 @ 11:46 AM

I make this all the time. We call it Pig Candy out here in Texas. I agree try a little cayenne pepper that is good too.

Kristen @ The Endless Meal — April 15, 2012 @ 1:01 PM

You’ve made me want to take a bite out of my computer screen. Seriously. I’ve got a couple pounds of bacon in the fridge that is soon going to turn into candied bacon. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — April 15, 2012 @ 5:21 PM

Lori, i’ve never had candied bacon before but LOVE anything salty/sweet. Plus, i think my boyfriend would love me even more if i made anything with bacon for him. Saving this recipe for sure!

Rachel Cooks (formerly Not Rachael Ray) — April 16, 2012 @ 6:59 AM

Amazing! Love the tip about poking it through in a few places–it turns out so pretty!

Peabody — April 16, 2012 @ 2:06 PM

Love me some pig candy!

Melissa G — April 16, 2012 @ 8:00 PM

This stuff is awsome. The version I’ve made is with red pepper rather than cinnamon – but I think I found a new recipe to try!!

Denise — April 19, 2012 @ 11:46 AM

I just made this. Am trying very very hard to make myself stop after two slices….can’t wait til my son gets home so he can try it! Oh wait, he has detention. Highly probable his sisters will have devoured it by then. Too bad, so sad! Thanks for the recipe!

Kelly — April 24, 2012 @ 12:46 PM

I cringe evertime I see a newly added “bacon item” to various menus. Everyone is coming up with some gnarly bacon concoction and yet I found myself drawn to this one! I WILL be making this for my family and will post the reviews after. Thanks for a very delicious looking menu item!!

Row — April 28, 2012 @ 9:41 PM

Ooh, this recipe is dangerous, for I have a full pack of bacon in the freezer. *rubs hands gleefully*

Shannah @ Just Us Four — May 9, 2012 @ 8:45 AM

I make something similar to this using cayenne pepper and turkey bacon. I have to make 2 lbs at a time because it goes so fast.

Kimberly — May 11, 2012 @ 6:39 AM

I think this will be the perfect garnish for the bourbon brown sugar cupcakes I plan on making this weekend. I’m pretty sure that I will have to make this when my husband isn’t around or there won’t be any left to put on the cupcakes.

Leona — July 20, 2012 @ 10:26 PM

Oh my goodness!!! I made this to top cupcakes for my Dad’s birthday and I thought I could handle it…I now have a burnt tongue and fingers because I couldn’t wait till it cooled!! Soooo delicious! Perfect balance of salty & sweet! I can’t say YUM enough!

Lisa — August 6, 2012 @ 1:06 PM

Evil…just pure evil…the way it is looking at me…enticing me…

Amanda — September 9, 2012 @ 9:41 AM

I just tried this recipe and had bad results. Can anyone tell me what went wrong? I used Hormel black label center cut bacon. I cooked at 350, checked after 15 min, and ended up cooking for 38 min total before giving up (because the drippings had turned black and burn smelling) and yet the bacon was still soft, chewy, and dripping soggy after sitting a while. The bacon was thin, I dont understand why it didn’tget crispy at all. Other recipes all say around the same thing, 20-30min at 325-350. My oven has been working fine. It it supposed to be wet and chewy? Thanks!

Lori Lange — September 9, 2012 @ 10:36 AM

Hmmm, did you cook it on a rack? My drippings tend to burn slightly, but the bacon doesn’t… and it definitely gets crispy!

Amanda — September 9, 2012 @ 10:51 AM

Lori Lange, thank you for replying! I did use cookie cooling racks. Everything looked like your pictures – same amount of sugar coating, the drippings looked the same, but the bacon never got crispy and the sugar was like a syrup rather than candied. I may have been too impatient and it may have gotten crispy eventually, but it seemed to be taking longer than all of the recipes I’ve seen calls for. I may have gotten there if I cooked for 45-50 mins, I don’t know. I’ll have to try it again and see if I get better results!

Sheena Russell — September 14, 2012 @ 11:34 AM

We too have issues with the bacon not getting crispy. We’ve tried it at 450, 350, and 250 for varying amounts of time and it still isn’t crispy. We’ve used 22/28 thin slices, and 16/18 thin slices – these are the slice count per pound, and still get the half crispy along the edges and chewy in the middle. More experimenting is in our future, but the flavor is AHHHH-MAZING!

We’re going to try par-baking the bacon first, then sprinkling the cinnamon/sugar mix over the top and seeing if that helps. That would allow more time for the bacon to crisp up before the sugar burns. We are also going to try white sugar.

Thanks for the amazing recipe :)

Gonzo — November 3, 2012 @ 6:05 AM

This is just the recipe I was looking for to make Bacon maple ice cream!

Jennifer — February 17, 2013 @ 8:23 AM

I just made this recipe and it tasted so amazing!!! I’m so glad I tried it! I did find that a 1/2 cup brown sugar wasn’t enough to coat all 12 bacon slices, so I made an additional 1/2 cup. I also had to bake mine for about 25 minutes to get a decent level of crispiness (but even then the slices weren’t that crispy). But with all that sugar on the slices I don’t think it’s possible to get it very crispy without burning the bacon/ sugar. Either way, awesome dish that I will definitely make again!!! : )

Terri Burfield — July 21, 2013 @ 3:56 PM

This looks so good, I pinned it for later and couldn’t decide what board to put it under…candy or desserts…haha.

Wendy — October 18, 2013 @ 12:04 PM

Brown sugar & cocoa!!!

Darrel Leschert — April 19, 2014 @ 9:56 AM

I didn’t Know Bacon Had gluten in it .nice to know

Lori Lange — April 21, 2014 @ 7:01 AM

Some does and some does not. Best to check with the brand.