Blueberry Refrigerator Jam

What kind of jam person are you?  Are you apricot?  Are you seedless raspberry?  Are you classic strawberry?  Or are you some other kind of weird jam that we don’t know about?  My absolute favorite jam in the whole wide world is one that they don’t typically sell in the market:  peach.  So it would make sense that this post would be about peach jam, right?  Well, no.  But peach jam will definitely be on my radar.  For today, I made some rather fabulous Blueberry Refrigerator Jam.

Blueberry Refrigerator Jam - RecipeGirl.com 1

I’m not a big canning person.  I don’t own canning equipment, and it’s not really my kind of thing (yet).  But I enjoy making things in jars and keeping them in the fridge for an amount of time long enough to make sure my family has time to consume them.  Refrigerator jam isn’t meant to can… it’s meant to eat within a couple of weeks.  That’s what we’ve got here.

Celebrate Every Day
The recipe comes from the cookbook:  Celebrate Every Day- Recipes for Making the Most of Special Moments with Your Family by Jaime Richardson of SophistiMom.  I love this book.  My son and I took a peek at it together, and we put sticky notes on a whole bunch of things that we wanted to try together… like Fried Chicken Strips, Homemade Snow Caps, Fresh Peach French Toast Bread Pudding, Homemade Cream Soda and Maple- Vanilla Crunch Granola.  It’s adult food that kids like too.

Blueberry Jam 2

The recipe couldn’t be simpler.  It begins with fresh blueberries, of course.  It’s a good one to make when you can find blueberries for next-to-nothing cost-wise at your local market or farmer’s market.

Blueberry Jam 3

Some of the blueberries are added to a saucepan and smashed.

Blueberry Jam 4

The rest of the ingredients are added- more blueberries, lemon zest/juice, and sugar.

Blueberry Jam 5

It’s all mixed up…

Blueberry Jam 6

…and brought to a boil.  Then it boils like that for about 20 minutes…

Homemade Blueberry Refrigerator Jam -RecipeGirl.com 6

…and it magically turns into homemade jam.

Homemade Blueberry Refrigerator Jam - RecipeGirl.com 7

You don’t even have to get all fancy and put it in jars unless you want to.  Honestly, you could scrape it into an ugly ‘ol tupperware and place it in your refrigerator and you’ll enjoy it just as much.  Mine fit nicely in three small jars that I had lying around.  I kept one for my family to sample on English muffins (YUM!), and I saved two to give as take-home gifts for guests who were coming to a dinner party of ours.  Everyone was happy, indeed :)

Print Print Recipe
Save Save Recipe

Blueberry Refrigerator Jam

Yield: Two 10-ounce jars

Prep Time: 25 min + cooling time

Cook Time: 25 min

The author of this recipe shares that getting jam to jell can be a funny business. If for some reason your jam doesn't thicken, remove it from heat and tell everyone it's blueberry sauce. For the record: mine turned out just perfect.

Ingredients:

5 cups fresh blueberries
zest of 1 lemon
5 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar

Directions:

1. Place a small ceramic plate in the freezer. Place 2 cups of blueberries in a high-sided saucepan, and mash with a potato masher. Add the remaining blueberries along with the rest of the ingredients. Set the saucepan over medium-high heat, and bring mixture to a boil.

2. Once the blueberries start boiling vigorously enough that the bubbles don't dissipate when you stir, set the timer for 12 minutes and continue boiling the berries at the same rate, stirring frequently.

3. When the jam begins to thicken, pull the plate from the freezer and place a small amount of the jam on the plate. Run your finger through the jam, and if it jells and seems thick, remove the pan from the heat. If the jam is not thick enough, place the plate back into the freezer, and continue to cook the jam for a minute or two longer. Test again. Repeat until the jam is thickened (I ended up having to cook mine for about an additional 10 minutes to get it to the right consistency).

4. Divide the jam into clean glass jars. Allow to cool for about 2 hours, then top with lids. When the jam cools to room temperature, store in the refrigerator and enjoy within 2 weeks.

Source: RecipeGirl.com (from the cookbook: Celebrate Every Day by Jaime Richardson)

More refrigerator/freezer jam recipes on the blogs that you may wish to try:
Roasted Strawberry Refrigerator Jam by FamilyStyle Food
Apricot Jam by The Homesick Texan
Raspberry- Blackberry Freezer Jam by A Farmgirl’s Dabbles
Small Batch Peach Jam by Confessions of a Tart

48 Responses to “Blueberry Refrigerator Jam”

Caroline Côté — July 18, 2013 @ 3:44 AM

I’m a “no sugar” and “sweeten with fruit juices only” kind of jam lover! But I never made any since all the recipe I found require sugar. And we love all kind of fruits in my jam. My little girl favor apricot and my little guy, blueberries. I like rhubarb and strawberry myself. PB&J is a staple for breakfast at our house!

Stacy | Wicked Good Kitchen — July 18, 2013 @ 3:47 AM

Refrigerator jam, with fresh summer berries, is the way to go for quick and ready to go! I love to make mine with agave nectar. Your Blueberry Refrigerator Jam from SophistiMom’s cookbook looks very tasty!

Kathryn — July 18, 2013 @ 5:18 AM

I’m not a great canner either but I love the idea of refrigerator jam!

Christy — July 18, 2013 @ 5:21 AM

Could you substitute either part of the white sugar or all with a sweetner like Splenda possibly? Thank you the recipe looks SUPER easy!

dc — July 18, 2013 @ 5:24 AM

This is my kind of canning! I refrigerator pickle a bunch of things and occasionally refrigerator strawberry jam….I can’t wait to try this tho’! Yum!

Cookin Canuck — July 18, 2013 @ 5:24 AM

Canning scares the heck out of me, so refrigerator jam is right up my alley. This jam from Jaime looks fantastic!

Sommer @ ASpicyPerspective — July 18, 2013 @ 6:11 AM

Love the ease of refrigerator jam! I actually have some blueberries that I need to put to good use, so thanks for sharing this recipe!

Tieghan — July 18, 2013 @ 6:16 AM

Canning? Yeah, no thanks. It scares me half to death!! LOL!!

This though? This is can do! It looks so darn good!!

kelley — July 18, 2013 @ 6:28 AM

Yum! I make so many jams this time of year and blueberry is one of my favorites. I made some to put up just a few weeks ago but I love the ease of this freezer version!

Robyn Stone | Add a Pinch — July 18, 2013 @ 8:16 AM

Mmmm. I love blueberry jam! I really like the refrigerator kind too!!!

marcie@flavor the moments — July 18, 2013 @ 8:39 AM

I’m blueberry all the way. I get the organic reduced sugar blueberry jam at Trader Joe’s all the time. I’ll eat the others, but this is my favorite. I’m making some of this!

Anna @ Crunchy Creamy Sweet — July 18, 2013 @ 8:41 AM

I am a huge jam lover and make refrigerator jams almost every time I have some fruit on hand. Peach is one of my favorites but this blueberry looks delightful!

Denise — July 18, 2013 @ 10:02 AM

I actually love to can ! But I’m getting older now and the kids are all on their own, so making something like this is probably more practical except for the part that you won’t have it to eat in the winter–which is the motivator to can things !
    I LOVE your spoon. Where did you find it ?
    Thanks for sharing.
    Denise

Anne@FromMySweetHeart — July 18, 2013 @ 11:14 AM

Oh refrigerator jams are so wonderful! I’m a classic strawberry jam girl. But honestly, anything made with fresh berries is good! Your jam has such a beautiful color! And no need for canning….this would last about 24 hrs in my home! : )

Brenda @ Sugar-Free Mom — July 18, 2013 @ 12:57 PM

Love the spoon you have in the pics, so cute!! I’m not much of a canning girl myself! But i do love me some blueberries and that jam looks delish!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — July 18, 2013 @ 1:20 PM

I love the recipe note about if the jam doesn’t thicken. ;) This looks like a super sweet book that I need to check out. We love making freezer jam, it’s such a treat to pull out a jar in the middle of winter. Thanks for the link to our very favorite raspberry blackberry jam!

leslie — July 18, 2013 @ 2:49 PM

Balckraspberry has to be one of my FAVS..but this blueberry…I couldnt pass it up either~

Joanne — July 18, 2013 @ 7:54 PM

I’m a raspberry jam girl but I could get some blueberry into my life if it’s really this easy to make!

Harold — July 18, 2013 @ 9:24 PM

Maybe you should try some Elderberry jam or jelly or maybe some Polk-berry jelly? I have made the Elderberry, it taste similar to Blackberry jelly and is delicious. All these are cooked on the stove. I like Blueberries in breads and pies.

Anne — July 19, 2013 @ 9:08 AM

Love the advice about un-gelled jam being sauce in disguise! That happened to me a couple of years ago when a big batch of apple jelly didn’t gel–and everyone loved their apple syrup. LOL!

Lori Lange — July 19, 2013 @ 9:36 AM

Sounds like a good idea to me- I’m up for trying any berry jam!

Lori Lange — July 19, 2013 @ 9:40 AM

I wish I could tell you yes, but I don’t use Splenda in my cooking and baking so I have no idea!

Gabrielle — July 19, 2013 @ 10:15 AM

This jam looks delicious. I was actually thinking about my favorite dessert in the whole wide world this morning which happens to be my grandma’s blueberry pie. This jam reminds me of the pie filling. Since she lives so far away, I might have to make my own blueberry jam instead.

Carla @ Carlas Confections — July 19, 2013 @ 10:24 AM

I am definitely a strawberry girl, but I am LOVING this blueberry jam :D

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — July 19, 2013 @ 3:16 PM

OMG that looks so good, Lori! Perfect for spreading on croissants or even adding to baked treats. Love it!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love. — July 19, 2013 @ 8:47 PM

I love how easy this is! Canning intimidates me too so this is just perfect!

Des @ Life's Ambrosia — July 20, 2013 @ 3:32 PM

I am not a canner at all that is why I LOVE this. Can’t wait to try it!

Maryann G — July 21, 2013 @ 1:38 PM

I loved this recipe… you have given me new inspiration to try making my own jam. I have posted this on my blog & along with your picture. It is proof that it is not runny and soupy! I hope that is OK? So excited to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing this! If you ever want to do an allergy friendly or gluten free recipe guest post on my page, I would be thrilled! Thanks again!

Nessa — July 22, 2013 @ 3:49 PM

I’ll be making this in the near future! Yum :)

Karen — July 26, 2013 @ 6:46 AM

Thanks, Lori! We’re vacationing at this very minute in New England where the local blueberries are ripe and wonderful. You’ve reminded meI should make a batch of jam to take away.

Nutmeg Nanny — July 26, 2013 @ 8:11 PM

This is a must try! I love homemade jam :) it reminds me of my grandmother

Jaime — July 27, 2013 @ 7:25 PM

Oh my goodness! I didn’t know you posted this, thanks, Lori!! I’m not that great at getting jam to jell. So I crossed my fingers on this recipe!! Phew! So glad it worked for you and that you’re enjoying the book!

Love you!! <3

chacha — August 1, 2013 @ 9:06 PM

I LOVE EASY JAMS to refrig. also canning. I just got 6 Lbs. of these little jems at a great price. SO versatile to use as GIFTS I dont think soooooooo WELL maybe a coupe of 1/2 pts. to tease my friends. They get jealous when I tell them what I make. OH WELL Cant wait to try the APRICOT recipe. This will go great with yogurt in a shell and jam on top.

shelburn — August 3, 2013 @ 8:23 AM

Your site is addictive!!!!! Just read this week’s recupe for blueberry jam and had to try it! Made the pickles last week, but used Splenda instead of sugar.
    Used a lesser amount and still my friends found them too sweet. Will try them again when I get too many cucumbers. I reduced the salt and will try to skip the salt next time.
    Today I did not have enough blueberries to make a batch, but did have a big bag of cherries just begging to be used. So I pitted what I had–very labor-intensive as I did not have a pitting tool, but got pretty efficient with my little knife. Had only 41/2 cups of fruit so I used less of the lemon and only 1/3 cup of Splenda to sweeten. It was done after only eight minutes in the boil stage. It came out beautifully. Husband had to test it even though it had not cooled thoroughly. Soo good. Might try a little less Splenda next time.
    I experiment with Splenda all the time, as we really curtail our sweet side!
    Thanks for the inspiration recipes!!! S.

Deana Charles — August 6, 2013 @ 12:44 PM

First off, I wanna say that your camera is great and those images are so vibrant! Secondly, this looks amazing. I have to try this out. I recently got a new True T-49 refrigerator and this thing is a beast. Stocking it with tons of refrigerator recipes. Thanks for posting.

Lisa Cornely — August 8, 2013 @ 5:26 PM

What a great recipe. I love jams and jellies, but canning scares me (I worry about bacteria and not doing it properly). This recipe was so simple to make and tastes delicious. I would like to try other refrigerator jams. I really want that cookbook also.

Angela — August 9, 2013 @ 8:21 AM

I tried this last night for the 1st time. This was the easiest and best tasting jam I have ever had.

Thank you for the recipe.

Just curious, has anyone tried this with other fruits? I’m hooked and can’t stop thinking of the endless possibilities and combos… :)

Lori Lange — August 10, 2013 @ 8:49 PM

I haven’t. but I’m intrigued enough to try!

Marsha Musselman — August 26, 2013 @ 9:35 AM

I tried making this recently from something someone wrote after watching a TV program. They must have missed some of the instruction, or I didn’t see it when I originally read it for they didn’t say how long to boil it. I boiled mine, but not for very long. I have raspberry sauce. I’m still eating it on toast I just have to watch that it doesn’t roll off the side of the bread.

Cody Jordan — October 3, 2013 @ 10:24 AM

I was wondering if I could use frozen blueberries (properly thawed) for this recipe?? It looks great, and I’m excited to try!!

Cody Jordan — October 4, 2013 @ 7:14 PM

Okay, I just made this and am waiting for it to cool before putting the lids on. The sampling tasted great!! I do have two pieces of advice. Don’t wear a light colored shirt when the blueberries are boiling!! Next, have a wet washcloth handy when making this! Can’t wait to try the finished product.

Lori Lange — October 5, 2013 @ 9:23 AM

Probably, but I haven’t tried it so I’m not sure.

Julie — April 7, 2014 @ 7:24 AM

Can you freeze this?

Lori Lange — April 9, 2014 @ 10:42 AM

I haven’t tried, but I would imagine it would be okay!

Tabitha — April 13, 2014 @ 9:56 AM

Can’t frozen blueberries be used if not in season for fresh?

Tabitha — April 13, 2014 @ 10:01 AM

sorry about that I now see the question was already asked. found a recipe same ingredients but with the proportion of frozen berries, so I expect the answer is it will be fine.

Wendy — April 15, 2014 @ 7:52 AM

Just made this last night and it turned out perfect! You can feel when stirring that it is starting to thicken. Super easy to make and very simple, as these items are always on hand. Thanks for the recipe.

Wendy — April 15, 2014 @ 7:54 AM

I used frozen blueberries when I made it and didn’t thaw them beforehand. Turned out just fine.