posted in Dinner at 6

Zucchini Pizza Crust

Here’s a delicious pizza recipe with an alternative crust:  Zucchini Crust Pizza

Zucchini Crust Pizza

I’m sure you’ve seen all kinds of versions of Cauliflower Crust Pizza around the internet, haven’t you?  I shared my version of Cauliflower Crust Pizza a couple of years ago, and it was quite the hit with RecipeGirl readers.   Now I’m introducing you to Zucchini Pizza Crust.  It’s a fabulous alternative to carb-heavy regular pizza crust, and you seriously won’t believe how good it tastes.  It’s my new favorite, for sure.

Zucchini Crust Pizza 1

The crust begins with shredded zucchini.  I squeeze the heck out of it to get the moisture outta there.  The zucchini is mixed with egg, cheeses, oil, spices and a small amount of flour.  If you’re gluten-free, you can totally use your favorite GF flour blend for this.

Zucchini Crust Pizza 2
It actually gets quite crispy in the oven, but I do make sure to bake it on both sides for maximum crispiness.

Zucchini Crust Pizza 3

Here’s where you can do whatever you want with it.  I chose to spread a little bit of pizza sauce on top…

Zucchini Crust Pizza 4

…and then I sprinkled on sauteed mushrooms, cooked and crumbled sweet Italian sausage and some fresh mozzarella balls.

Zucchini Crust Pizza 5

It goes back into the oven for a quick heat and melt…

Zucchini Crust Pizza - #recipe

…then you slice it up and serve it.  It’s safe to say that even zucchini HATERS might like this one.  My 12-year-old son wouldn’t touch zucchini with a 10-foot pole, but he ate this zucchini crust pizza and then asked for more.  Truth be told, I did give it to him without telling him what it was.  He was pretty surprised when I shared that zucchini was the star of the meal.  I love when I secretly feed my kid vegetables and he discovers that he actually likes them!!  It’s a good pizza- enjoy!

Yield: 1 small pizza (about 6 small slices)

Prep Time: 20 min

Cook Time: 45min

Zucchini Crust Pizza

2 cups grated zucchini (packed), then squeezed dry (see tips below)
2 large eggs, beaten (you can also use 2 large egg whites)
1/4 cup Gold Medal® All-Purpose Flour (can sub gluten-free flour blend)
1/2 cup finely grated mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup finely grated fresh Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning

Whatever you'd like!
I used pizza sauce, fresh mozzarella, sauteed mushrooms and crumbled cooked sausage for this recipe

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a flat cookie sheet or pizza pan with parchment paper. Spray parchment paper with nonstick spray.

2. In a medium bowl, combine zucchini, eggs, flour, cheeses, oil and seasoning. Mix well.

3. Pat the zucchini mixture into a thin, round pizza crust- 12 to 14 inches in diameter. Bake 30 minutes, or until the crust begins to get golden brown. Remove the crust from the oven and flip it over. Return it to the oven for an additional 10 minutes (watch to make sure it's not becoming too browned). Remove the crust from the oven and add the toppings. Return to the oven and heat through until cheeses are melted and everything is heated through. Slice and eat!

*I like to use the medium cut on my box grater for the zucchini. 2 cups will be about 2 large zucchini. When I squeeze my 2 cups of zucchini dry, I can usually get about 1/3 cup moisture out of them. The more you can extract, the better the crust will turn out.

Nutritional Information per serving of CRUST ONLY (no toppings):
Serving size: 1/6th of the pizza
Calories per serving: 121
Fat per serving: 7.4g
Saturated Fat per serving: 3.2g
Sugar per serving: .1g
Sodium per serving: 203.4mg
Fiber per serving: .5g
Protein per serving: 7.8g
Cholesterol per serving: 71.8mg
Carbohydrates per serving: 5.7g

WW POINTS per serving:
Points Plus Program: 3 Old Points Program: 3

You may also enjoy these alternative pizza crust recipes:
Cauliflower Pizza Crust (by RecipeGirl)
Spaghetti Squash Pizza Crust ( by Shared Appetite)
Sweet Potato Pizza Crust (by Taste and Tell)
Quinoa Pizza Crust (by Dishing Up the Dirt)
Butternut Squash Pizza Crust (by Empowered Sustenance)

27 Responses to “Zucchini Pizza Crust”

1. postedApr 24, 2014 5:40 AM

Oh yum! This looks so good and I love the use of zucchini in the crust!

2. postedApr 24, 2014 5:58 AM

Love this twist on low carb cauliflower pizza crust! Excellent drool worthy photos, too. 🙂 Pinning (of course)!

3. postedApr 24, 2014 6:01 AM

What a smart idea! As someone not totally on the cauliflower bandwagon, I am super excited about this! I LOVE zucchini and can’t wait to try it! Pinning 🙂 Hope you are having a great week Lori!

4. postedApr 24, 2014 8:35 AM

This is absolutely brilliant, Lori. I remember when I tried your cauliflower crust and loved it, and I think I will love this one even more!

PS Thank you for your sweet and loving messages lately, it has helped so much.

5. postedApr 24, 2014 8:37 AM

I’ve made your cauliflower crust pizza and LOVED it… but would have never thought of zucchini!!! Pinned for later, can’t wait to try this one soon!

6. postedApr 24, 2014 10:28 AM

I am totally loving this crust! I’ve made zucchini fritters and had cauliflower pizza crust but never zuke pizza crust. How fun & healthy! pinned

7. postedApr 24, 2014 10:38 AM

Love this idea! I make a cauli crust pizza a lot but need to try my hand at using zucchini!

8. postedApr 24, 2014 10:39 AM

Awesome way to make the crust! Love it.

9. postedApr 24, 2014 1:35 PM

So fun! This pizza sounds great!!

10. postedApr 24, 2014 6:31 PM

Loving the zucchini crust idea! I have to try this!

11. postedApr 24, 2014 10:24 PM

What a great way to use up all that zucchini that will be growing in the garden in a few months, hopefully!

12. postedApr 25, 2014 3:58 AM

Oh man, I LOVE zucchini…but I’ve never made a crust out of it! Love this spin on the cauliflower crust that seems to be overtaking the world. Pinned!

13. postedApr 25, 2014 4:10 AM

I was visiting Lyuba and Will Cook For Smiles and she mentioned you and your cookbook. I see some very interesting things — I am always trying to learn and since I recently started my blog I picking up some very good tips. I love your photography — mine needs work. I also like the way you use different ingredients and combine them to make a delish dish. I am definitely going to be a loyal follower.

14. postedApr 25, 2014 7:53 AM

Somehow I was not sold on cauliflour pizza crust idea, but this zucchini pizza crust sounds totally awesome. Will have to try this! 🙂

15. postedApr 25, 2014 1:30 PM

That looks delicious!
    I would much rather have the taste of zucchini that plain old dough.

• April 28th, 2014 @ 8:27 PM

I agree- sometimes the dough can be so heavy to eat.

16. postedApr 25, 2014 3:40 PM
    Suzanne Gaither

Sure is nice to see a beautiful piece of food and actually get a recipe with it!

17. postedApr 27, 2014 6:31 PM

Why oh why haven’t I thought of this? I love cauliflower pizza crust! Plus, in a few months, I’ll be up to my ears with zucchini from the garden. Pinning this for later! 🙂

18. postedApr 28, 2014 9:13 AM

I have yet to try a veggie pizza crust, and I need to get on it! Cauliflower and zucchini sound delicious — I would love them both. Pinning to try!

19. postedApr 29, 2014 7:53 AM

Lori – this is genius! I love zucchini so much more than cauliflower, (although I couldn’t taste it when I made pizza crust with cauliflower). I had to laugh when I read that your son didn’t know it was zucchini and he loved it. We are all going to have loads of zucchini soon, so this will be a very popular recipe in our house.

20. postedApr 29, 2014 8:06 AM

I feel like often I crave pizza toppings more than pizza itself, so totally making this next time the urge strikes!

21. postedApr 30, 2014 11:45 AM

Holy moly, what an amazing idea for a pizza crust! I am definitely going to be trying this very soon!

22. postedMay 23, 2014 2:23 PM

can i make this and freeze it without the toppings? if so freeze baked or raw?

• May 28th, 2014 @ 9:44 PM

I have not tried freezing it.

23. postedAug 5, 2014 6:16 PM

Hi there, I just cooked it and still feels a bit spongy as opposed to crispy, I followed the directions but just tripled it. I made it about 1/4 inch think . What could I have done wrong?

• August 5th, 2014 @ 7:45 PM

It’s tough to say. I patted mine out very thin and flipped it once one side was pretty crisp.

24. postedAug 24, 2015 5:00 PM

My sister and I have been looking for a good zucchini crust recipe–thank you so much!