Meatball Pizza is the ultimate family favorite dinner recipe. It’s truly a meat lover’s pizza with all of the flavors of delicious meatballs incorporated into the topping. Watch the video showing you how to make this recipe, then scroll to the bottom of this post and print out the recipe so you can make it at home.
Sometimes we just like the simple dishes. This is one of them. My family loves this Meatball Pizza!
It technically isn’t really “meatball” since there aren’t any actual meatballs on the pizza. Traditional meatball ingredients are cooked together and used as the topping for the pizza.
This idea originally came from one of Rachael Ray’s old cookbooks. It’s easy fare for a family dinner.
How do you make Meatball Pizza?
- A pizza pan is rubbed with a little bit of oil.
- Pizza dough is spread into the pan, poked with a fork, and baked for a short time.
- The meat topping is assembled by cooking the meat in a hot skillet with onion, garlic, tomato paste, Parmesan cheese and spices.
- The baked crust is topped with the meat mixture and a generous portion of mozzarella cheese.
- Then baked until the cheese is golden!
Where is the best place to buy pizza dough?
Most markets have some sort of pizza dough that they sell. You’ll probably be able to find the kind of pizza dough in the can (not my favorite), and some will offer it in a little plastic baggie (probably a better product and likely more fresh).
I do have a tip for the best place to buy pizza dough. Most pizza restaurants will likely be willing to sell you a ball of their pizza dough. Just ask! That’s going to be your best bet for good pizza dough! You can also make your own. I have good recipe for Easy Pizza Dough.
What are the best toppings for pizza?
If you’re a meat lover, you’ll most likely enjoy some sort of meat lover’s pizza like this Meatball Pizza! Pepperoni Pizza is another favorite. And my personal choice for pizza is Ham and Pineapple. Sausage, Bacon and chicken are also popular pizza toppings.
If you’re vegetarian, you may with to include a variety of vegetables on your pizza like zucchini, mushroom, tomato, artichoke hearts, and bell peppers. Some people like to add olives, goat cheese, arugula and more. The possibilities are endless!
It’s pretty likely that everyone in your family will enjoy this Meatball Pizza. It’s a nice, quick and easy dinner for those nights that are crazy!
If you’re looking for more easy, family friendly dinner ideas, you might also enjoy my Easy Beef Enchiladas or this Baked Parmesan Chicken. Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches and Chicken Ranch Tacos are also fun recipes for the family!
- 2 tablespoons + extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ball pizza dough
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh rosemary
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ pounds 90% lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced or finely chopped
- One 3-ounce can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 12 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Drizzle a round pizza pan or a rectangular baking sheet with olive oil. Spread the dough into the pan to form your crust. Poke the pizza dough in several places with the tines of a fork. Drizzle the dough with olive oil, then season it with the rosemary and a little salt. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Heat a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef. Brown and crumble the meat for a couple of minutes, then add the onions and garlic. Season the meat with salt and pepper, then work in the tomato paste using the back of a wooden spoon. Stir in the Parmesan cheese, parsley and oregano.
- Remove the pizza crust from the oven and top with the meat mixture. Arrange the mozzarella cheese over the pizza, working from the center to the outside edge. Return the pizza to the oven and bake until the cheese is golden, another 10 to 12 minutes.
- Let pizza sit for a few minutes, then cut into slices and serve.