This Basic Pizza Sauce recipe has been featured on The Recipe Girl blog: Classic Pepperoni Pizza
Basic Pizza Sauce
- ¼ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup white wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- One 14.5-ounce can crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic to pan; sauté 30 seconds. Stir in wine; cook 30 seconds.
- Add tomato paste, oregano, pepper, and tomatoes. Reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes or until thick.
- Remove sauce from heat; stir in basil and vinegar. Cool.
- This sauce is a chunky tomato sauce. If you prefer a smoother pizza sauce, toss it in a food processor or blender with about 1 tablespoon water and blend until smooth.
- This sauce can be prepared ahead of time- up to one day. It freezes well, too, for up to one month.