posted in Favorite Salads

Orange Sherbet Jello Salad

It’s time to bring jello salads back in style:  Orange Sherbet Jello Salad

Orange Sherbet Jello Salad

My mom used to make this jello salad all the time when I was little.  It showed up on every single Thanksgiving table, it showed up at potlucks, and it made an appearance as a special treat for us kids once in a while too.  Jello salads have gotten a bad rap over the years because people try to put too much stuff in them.  This one is simply made with orange jello and mandarin oranges.  And it has orange sherbet in it too, so that makes it the best jello salad ever!!!

Orange Sherbet

By the way, when is the last time you had a scoop of orange sherbet?  I’m pretty sure I was under 20.  It seems to be one of those frozen desserts that you only buy for the kids, doesn’t it?  Well let me tell you… orange sherbet is incredible.  I opened up the container and it had softened up perfectly… and I ate a spoonful and just about fell over.  Why have I ignored orange sherbet all my life?  You seriously need to get some sherbet and enjoy it all over again.  It’s not just for kids!

Orange Sherbet Jello Salad Recipe

The orange sherbet is stirred into the jello mixture until it’s completely melted, and it gives this jello salad a wonderful flavor and velvety texture.  Yes, that makes it more like dessert… but that’s perfectly okay when you’re making jello.  It’s a treat!

Yield: 6 to 8 servings

Prep Time: 15 minutes + chill time

Orange Sherbet Jello Salad

Ingredients:

• One 6-ounce box orange Jell-O
  • 1 cup boiling water
  • One 15-ounce can mandarin orange slices, juice reserved
  • 1 pint orange sherbet (2 cups), softened

Directions:

1. In a medium bowl, stir hot water into Jell-O powdered gelatin until it is completely dissolved. Add the mandarin orange juice and the softened sherbet and continue to mix until the sherbet is melted.
  2. Spray a jello mold (or an 8x8-inch glass pan) with nonstick spray. Pour the Jell-O mixture into the mold and gently scatter the orange slices into the mixture.
  3. Refrigerate for several hours (or overnight) until well set. Carefully turn out the chilled jello mold onto a decorative plate (see tips below).  Or if you used a square dish, you can just put it out for scooping and serving.  Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
*Tips for getting the Jell-O out of the mold:  Use a small rubber spatula or a knife to loosen the edges of the salad.  Place a serving plate on top of the mold and gently flip it over.  If the Jell-O doesn't seem to be coming out, you can always place the bottom of the pan in warm water for about 10 seconds, then flip it over.  It should slide right out.
SOURCE: RecipeGirl's MOM

You might also enjoy these jello salad recipes:

13 Responses to “Orange Sherbet Jello Salad”

1. postedNov 18, 2012 8:58 AM

The photo for the Orange Jello Jello Salad isn’t there/working.

• November 18th, 2012 @ 5:09 PM

thanks, yes… it’s a very old photo- will try to re-shoot sometime soon!

2. postedOct 23, 2013 3:59 AM
    Lil

I don’t suppose anyone has any idea if there is a UK version of ‘orange sherbet’ and I so where I can find it?! Thanks in advance

3. postedJun 11, 2015 5:15 AM
    Kathy Richardson

To insure that your Jello molds are crip and come out prefect every time you can add a packet of unflavored gelletin and make your recipe just as you would.

4. postedJun 11, 2015 5:23 AM
    Jennie H

This would be lovely in some of those jello jiggler molds too.  We have Star Wars and Sea Life.  Would make it a lovely fun summer treat!  Thanks for the great ideas! Have a blessed week!

5. postedJun 11, 2015 7:07 AM
    Liz

Sounds so yummy. Thank you.

6. postedJun 11, 2015 8:46 AM

Hi Lori,

I so agree that it’s time to bring jello salads back into style! They showed up on our table regularly when I was growing up too :-) Thanks for including mention of my recipe for cranberry jello salad. I’m putting orange sherbet on my grocery list. This orange salad looks so refreshing, perfect for summer in Phoenix.

7. postedJun 11, 2015 9:01 AM
    Jen

My mom was the Queen of jello salads and made this orange sherbet one often. She would use a ring mold and fill the center with ambrosia: 1 cup each sour cream, crushed pineapple, miniature marshmallows and coconut. Mmm… comfort food memories!

8. postedJun 11, 2015 10:43 AM

Wow, I love orange desserts/salads. The only jello salad I am attached to is one my mom makes every Christmas with red and green jellos and a white pineapple filling in the middle. I think this one might just make my Thanksgiving table! Wonder how a strawberry one would work for Easter?

Thanks for posting this!

• June 16th, 2015 @ 10:02 AM

great idea!

9. postedJun 11, 2015 12:17 PM

Yum! I love orange sherbet…I think it’s actually why I loved the rainbow sherbet ice cream flavor when I was kid (it was my favorite ice cream). It’s got that perfectly sweet and citrus combo that is so refreshing in these warm months. Beautiful jello salad, Lori!

10. postedJun 11, 2015 12:33 PM
    Sally

I’m generally not a fan of jello salads, but this is appealing  Another good (adult) way to enjoy orange sherbet — with a little of your favorite orange liqueur drizzled over the top.  Limoncello works with lemon sherbet and raspberry liqueur for raspberry.

11. postedJun 11, 2015 1:51 PM

Looks very refreshing and a quick and easy dessert to make!