It’s time to bring jello salads back in style: Orange Sherbet Jello Salad
My mom used to make this jello salad all the time when I was little. It showed up on every single Thanksgiving table, it showed up at potlucks, and it made an appearance as a special treat for us kids once in a while too. Jello salads have gotten a bad rap over the years because people try to put too much stuff in them. This one is simply made with orange jello and mandarin oranges. And it has orange sherbet in it too, so that makes it the best jello salad ever!!!
By the way, when is the last time you had a scoop of orange sherbet? I’m pretty sure I was under 20. It seems to be one of those frozen desserts that you only buy for the kids, doesn’t it? Well let me tell you… orange sherbet is incredible. I opened up the container and it had softened up perfectly… and I ate a spoonful and just about fell over. Why have I ignored orange sherbet all my life? You seriously need to get some sherbet and enjoy it all over again. It’s not just for kids!
The orange sherbet is stirred into the jello mixture until it’s completely melted, and it gives this jello salad a wonderful flavor and velvety texture. Yes, that makes it more like dessert… but that’s perfectly okay when you’re making jello. It’s a treat!
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes + chill time
Orange Sherbet Jello Salad
- One 6-ounce box orange Jell-O
- 1 cup boiling water
- One 15-ounce can mandarin orange slices, juice reserved
- 1 pint orange sherbet (2 cups), softened
- In a medium bowl, stir hot water into Jell-O powdered gelatin until it is completely dissolved. Add the mandarin orange juice and the softened sherbet and continue to mix until the sherbet is melted.
- Spray a jello mold (or an 8x8-inch glass pan) with nonstick spray. Pour the Jell-O mixture into the mold and gently scatter the orange slices into the mixture.
- Refrigerate for several hours (or overnight) until well set. Carefully turn out the chilled jello mold onto a decorative plate (see tips below). Or if you used a square dish, you can just put it out for scooping and serving. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
You might also enjoy these jello salad recipes:
- Creamsicle Jello Mold by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Creamy Strawberry- Banana Jello by The Food Charlatan
- Peaches and Cream Jello by The Kitchn
- Molded Cranberry Jello Salad by Simple Nourished Living