This Better Than Robert Redford recipe has been around for a very long time!
I remember my mother making this when I was in high school. So somewhere along the line, someone created this recipe and they thought it was so delicious that they dubbed it as “Better Than Robert Redford.”
I guess Robert Redford was kind of a big deal back in the day. I’d personally call it “Better Than George Clooney.” I’m sure everyone has their own version.
It’s a simple layered dessert with a pecan shortbread crust. The layers are made of of pudding and a creamy no-bake cheesecake layer. If things like instant pudding and Cool Whip aren’t your thing, then this is not the dessert for you.
I must say… I served this recently at a summer barbecue, and every single bite was eaten up rather quickly. It’s an easy dessert recipe that everyone seems to love.
Yield: 12 servings
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Better Than Robert Redford
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, softened
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- One 8-ounce package cream cheese
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- One 9-ounce tub Cool Whip
- Two 3.4-ounce boxes instant vanilla or French Vanilla pudding (prepare it as directed on the package)
- Two 3.4-ounce boxes instant chocolate pudding (prepare it as directed on the package)
- One grated milk chocolate bar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Prepare the crust: In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, butter and pecans. Press into a 13x9-inch baking dish and bake 15 to 20 minutes, until set and lightly browned. Let the crust cool completely.
- Prepare the filling: In a small bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the cream cheese with the sugar until smooth. Fold in half of the Cool Whip.
- Spread the cream cheese mixture over the cooled crust. Then spread the vanilla pudding. Then spread the chocolate pudding. Spread remaining cool whip on top.
- Sprinkle with grated chocolate and serve. Or refrigerate and serve later. It's best if served the same day it's made.