Here’s a delicious and easy summery dessert: Blueberry Gooey Butter Cake
We stayed in a lovely beach house on the Massachusetts coast a couple of weeks ago. It’s a place we go every summer, and we enjoy it so much. It’s something we look forward to all year long. Everyone should have something like that!
I’m always amazed by the blueberries that I am able to find in Massachusetts. They’re infinitely more perfect and plump than anything I can ever find on the West coast. So I pretty much go blueberry-crazy whenever I’m in Massachusetts in the summer. I added some of those delightful blueberries to the infamous gooey butter cake to create a Blueberry Gooey Butter Cake. It was a very good idea, I must say!
I used Paula Deen’s base recipe for Gooey Butter Cake (good all on its own). And I simply added a boatload of fresh blueberries on top. Yes, this recipe begins with a yellow cake mix from a box. Do I care? No, because sometimes I use the boxed mixes anyways. It’s a super good cake. And it’s a totally easy and impressive recipe to serve to guests. I did just that.
I served it to beach house neighbor guests who we hosted for dinner. They ate every last bite of this dessert, and I heard lots of Mmmm’s and Ahhh’s. I’d say it was a hit.
So be inspired to try out this dessert sometime this summer, especially if you can find a couple of handfuls of wonderful, fresh, plump blueberries!
Here’s a short video showing you how to make this Blueberry Gooey Butter Cake. Print the recipe down below.
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Blueberry Gooey Butter Cake
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 large egg
- 16 tablespoons butter (2 sticks), melted, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (16 ounce) box powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups fresh blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13x9-inch pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the cake mix, 1 egg and 8 tablespoons melted butter until well combined. Pat the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- In a separate large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the eggs, vanilla and remaining 8 tablespoons melted butter and beat to combine. Next, add the powdered sugar and mix well. Spoon this mixture over the cake batter and use the spoon to spread to create an even layer. Sprinkle the fresh blueberries on top. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes- just until the cake seems set but is a little gooey in the center.
Here are a few more gooey butter cake recipes you might enjoy:
- Lemon- Raspberry Gooey Butter Cake by Willow Bird Baking
- Gooey Butter Cake by RecipeGirl
- Red Velvet Gooey Butter Cake by Buns in My Oven
- Nutella Gooey Butter Cake by TidyMom