Triple Chocolate Muffins are a great breakfast treat!
These muffins are made triple chocolate delicious by adding in cocoa powder, chocolate almond milk and chocolate chips. They are given a nutritional boost by using avocado, banana, almond milk, coconut sugar and white whole wheat flour.
These were a bit hit at my house for breakfast! It’s an excuse to eat chocolate for breakfast- yay!
The recipe comes from Superfood Weeknight Meals: Healthy, Delicious Dinners Ready in 30 Minutes or Less by Kelly Pfeiffer (www.NoshAndNourish.com). You’ll find meals that are fast, delicious and healthy in this cookbook! The recipes in this book focus on 10 everyday superfoods: avocado, cauliflower, citrus fruit, almonds, quinoa, olive oil, eggs, lentils, sweet potatoes and spinach.
Here are some recipes in the book that are on my must-make list: Thai-Chicken Sweet Potato Bisque, BBQ Chicken Burgers with Spiralized Apples, Pineapple Teriyaki Bowls, Super Greens Mac and Cheese Cups, Cauliflower Meatballs over Zoodles, Cheeseburger Soup, Lemon- Bourbon Salmon Tacos, Citrus BBQ Shrimp with Sweet Potato Hash, Sweet Potato Pancakes, Loaded Avocado Toast, Meyer Lemon Bars and Key Lime Pie.
Although this book is primarily focused on healthy dinners, I chose to make a recipe from the breakfast section. BY THE WAY, you can totally have breakfast for dinner!
I like that this recipe only makes one dozen. We ate four for breakfast, and we popped the rest into the freezer to enjoy another time. There is no reason to overdo it. Keeping them in the freezer means they’re SAFE from excessive-munching.
These are loaded with chocolate. The recipe calls for chocolate almond milk- which is easy to find in a box near the other almond milk at your market. I had never had chocolate almond milk before, and I must say that it’s quite delicious (so you’ll totally enjoy your chocolate almond milk leftovers!)
Serving suggestion: eat these warm… with a little bit of almond butter or peanut butter slathered on them. SO GOOD!
Yield: 12 muffins
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Triple Chocolate Muffins
- 2 large Eggland's Best eggs
- 1 medium ripe banana, mashed
- 1 medium avocado, mashed
- 1/2 cup chocolate- almond milk
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or regular sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips + a few extra to sprinkle on top
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, banana, avocado, almond milk, sugar and vanilla. Use an immersion blender (or blender or mixer) to purée until smooth.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and sea salt.
- Slowly stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared muffin tin, filling each cup about two-thirds full. Sprinkle a few additional chips on top. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Here are a few more muffin recipes you might enjoy:
- Blueberry Doughnut Muffins by My Baking Addiction
- Snickerdoodle Muffins by Recipe Girl
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Muffins by Shugary Sweets
- Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins by Recipe Girl