Here’s a dinner to make with your zucchini this summer: Alfredo Zoodles with Shrimp and Bacon
I guess I shouldn’t assume that you’re already familiar with zoodles. Are you? Zoodles = Zucchini Noodles. Yep, zucchini can easily be turned into noodles and attempt to mask the idea that you’re eating vegetables instead of pasta. The whole concept works for me, and I think it’s quite brilliant. I have eaten far too much pasta in my lifetime. That was fine in my younger years, but not so much for my older self. My body latches onto pasta like a leech, leaving behind bulges in places that I never, ever wanted. I do love my pasta, but I must limit it nowadays and use zoodles as a satisfactory replacement.
You will need one of these to make this recipe. It’s the simple machine that turns your zucchini into noodles- a spiralizer. I have the Paderno Brand Spiralizer (sold on Amazon), and it works great. All you do is cut off the ends of the zucchini and place it in between the turning wheel and the blade. Then you turn the wheel manually and the zucchini is spiralized into noodles. It’s a pretty cool little gadget! You can use it for other veggies too… but I pretty much just use if for my zucchini noodles.
This recipe combines so many of my favorite things! The zoodles are coated with a lighter alfredo sauce, the shrimp are sauteed in a little bit of butter, and it’s all finished off with some cooked bacon too. Enjoy!
Alfredo Zoodles with Shrimp and Bacon
Prep Time:30 minutes
Cook Time:14 minutes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled/deveined/tails removed
- salt and pepper
- 3 medium to large zucchini, spiralized
- 4 sliced cooked bacon
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley (optional)
- Prepare the alfredo sauce: In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Whisk in the zest and flour, then whisk in the milk. Whisk and stir for 4 minutes. Add the cheeses and continue to whisk and cook until melted and slightly thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Cook the shrimp: In a medium nonstick skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Add the shrimp and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Saute until shrimp is pink and cooked through. Remove the shrimp from the pan and set aside.
- Add the spiral zucchini noodles (zoodles) to the skillet and cook over medium heat for just a couple of minutes- until the zucchini is slightly wilted. You don't want to cook them too much or they'll get watery and mushy. Add the alfredo sauce to the skillet and toss to combine with the zoodles.
- Divide the zoodles between three bowls. Top with shrimp and sprinkle with bacon and parsley. Add salt and pepper, as desired. Serve immediately.
Here are a few more recipes for zoodles that you might enjoy:
- Shrimp Zoodles Parmesan for Two by Skinnytaste
- Mediterranean Zucchini Noodle Pasta by The Roasted Root
- Sesame Zoodles by Cookies & Cups
- Pad Thai Zoodles by Steamy Kitchen
Disclosure: There are Amazon affiliate links included within this post.