This post is in partnership with the Quaker Oats company.
Here’s a delicious way to dress up your oatmeal: Almond Butter Oatmeal with Bacon and Brown Sugar
Quaker is hosting a national contest to find America’s next great oatmeal flavor at www.BringYourBestBowl.com. Your task: come up with a creative twist by adding 2-5 flavors to a bowl of oatmeal that could be considered as a delicious new flavor of Quaker Instant Oatmeal on store shelves. You can enter your ideas into the contest through March 12. My idea: adding almond butter, brown sugar and bacon. My family was over-the-moon about my new flavor creation. So good!
Three finalists will be announced in the fall of 2016. At that point, those three flavors will hit the shelves in stores nationwide for consumers to try and vote online. The grand prize winner will be rewarded with $250,000 along with a chance for their creation to debut on shelves nationwide!
Here’s how I came up with my creation: I sat down and thought about what my family loves for breakfast. They love bacon. They love almond butter (you could use peanut butter too). And they love oatmeal! I thought about adding maple syrup to this combination too. As you can imagine, there are endless possibilities for what you can add to a bowl of oatmeal. That’s the fun part!
The crunch of bacon with the creaminess of the oatmeal, the sweetness of the brown sugar, a hint of almond and a dash of cinnamon… that’s my delicious creation. What’s yours?
Almond Butter Oatmeal with Bacon and Brown Sugar
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup Quaker Old Fashioned Oats
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 slices crisp, cooked bacon, crumbled
- dash of cinnamon
- dash of salt
- additional milk, optional
- In a small saucepan, bring the milk to a boil. Stir in the oats and almond butter. Cook about 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon oatmeal into a bowl and stir in brown sugar, bacon, cinnamon and salt. Add a tablespoon or two of milk if you like your oatmeal a little more creamy.
Here are a few more oatmeal recipes you might enjoy:
- Caramel Apple Oatmeal by My Whole Food Life
- Morning Glory Oatmeal by Cookie & Kate
- Nutella Oatmeal with Sliced Bananas by Simply Scratch
Disclosure: This recipe was created in partnership with Quaker Oats to help spread the word about the Bring Your Best Bowl Contest. I only write about products that I already use in my kitchen- and this is one of them! RecipeGirl.com maintains full editorial control of the content published on this site. As always, all thoughts, opinions, and enthusiasm for products are entirely my own.