These Apple Cream Scones have apple chunks incorporated within, and they turn out beautifully tender every time!
My Caramel Apple Scones recipe is a popular one, but this recipe for apple cream scones is quite popular too. There isn’t a sweet glaze drizzled on top, which makes them more breakfast and snack-like and not super duper sweet.
- Granny Smith apples
- instant coffee
- hot water
- whipping cream
- all purpose flour
- white sugar
- baking powder
- coarse sugar
How to make Apple Cream Scones:
The complete, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
Chunks of apple in these scones helps keep them moist and tender. These are not dry scones by any means. These are on my “favorite things to make for breakfast” list. I like to pop a few of them in the freezer so I can enjoy them at a later time too. Enjoy!
The Best Recipes for Scones:
- Cranberry Vanilla Scones
- Cranberry Orange Scones
- Raspberry White Chocolate Scones
- Fresh Strawberry Scones
- Cinnamon Bun Scones
Apple Cream Scones
- 2 cups chopped Granny Smith apple
- 6 tablespoons (¾ stick) butter
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon hot water
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup granulated white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a medium skillet, sauté the chopped apples in 2 tablespoons butter until tender and the liquid is almost absorbed, stirring often. Set aside and let cool.
- In medium bowl, dissolve the coffee in the hot water; stir in the cream.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in the remaining butter with a pastry blender (or two knives) until the pieces resemble coarse crumbs. Add the cooked apples and coffee mixture, stirring just until the dough clings together.
- Dump the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead 6 times. Place onto an ungreased cookie sheet and pat the dough into an 8-inch circle. Top with coarse sugar. Cut into 8 wedges; separating them slightly.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cooked through. Cool slightly, separate and serve warm.