A delicious and tender scone recipe: Apple Cream Scones
Apple Cream Scones
- 2 cups chopped Granny Smith apple
- 6 tablespoons (¾ stick) butter
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon hot water
- ½ cup whipping cream
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup granulated white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a medium skillet, sauté the chopped apples in 2 tablespoons butter until tender and the liquid is almost absorbed, stirring often. Set aside and let cool.
- In medium bowl, dissolve the coffee in the hot water; stir in the cream.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in the remaining butter with a pastry blender (or two knives) until the pieces resemble coarse crumbs. Add the cooked apples and coffee mixture, stirring just until the dough clings together.
- Dump the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead 6 times. Place onto an ungreased cookie sheet and pat the dough into an 8-inch circle. Top with coarse sugar. Cut into 8 wedges; separating them slightly.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cooked through. Cool slightly, separate and serve warm.