Apple Cream Cheese Coffee Cake is a delicious cake recipe to make with a bounty of fresh apples!
Despite the name, “coffee cake” does not have any actual coffee in it. This question is asked a lot! Coffee cake is a lovely cake to enjoy for breakfast, and it’s also a nice cake to serve with coffee or tea at any time of day. This apple cream cheese coffee cake has a wonderful cake texture and a rich flavor with delicious, spiced apples baked on top.
How to make Apple Cream Cheese Coffee Cake:
Toss sliced fresh apples with lemon juice and set those aside. Make the cake batter. Spread the batter into the bottom of a 9×13-inch pan.
Sprinkle the apple slices with the topping ingredients (sugar, cinnamon and flour), and toss to coat. Arrange the coated apples over the batter in the pan.
Bake the cake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until it tests done. Insert a knife or toothpick into the middle, and when it comes out clean (no batter), then the cake is cooked through. Slice and serve!
If you’ve gone apple picking, this is a great recipe to make with your apples! Or just grab apples at the store and use those for this apple cream cheese coffee cake.
What are the best apples to use for baking?
This is a frequently asked question! I google it all the time because I can’t ever remember which are the best apples to use for baking. Jonagold, Honeycrisp, Braeburn and Pink Lady varieties all work well in baking (and they will all work very well in this recipe). I like to use Granny Smith apples when I’m baking apple pie.
If you are a lover of coffee cake recipes, you might like to try my Banana Coffee Cake with Streusel Topping, Peach and Blueberry Coffee Cake or this Pear Coffee Cake recipe. I think you’ll especially enjoy this coffee cake recipe the best. Enjoy!
Apple Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
- 4 cups peeled and sliced apples
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
- 1¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13x9-inch pan with nonstick spray.
- Place the apple slices in a bowl and drizzle the lemon juice on top. Toss to coat. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the cream cheese and butter; add in the sugar, and use a hand mixer to beat on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the extract.
- Sift the dry ingredients into a separate bowl (flour, baking powder, soda & salt)
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture a little at a time, alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture; mix well after each addition.
- Pour the batter into prepared baking pan.
ADD THE TOPPING:
- Combine the topping ingredients in a small bowl. Sprinkle the topping over the apple slices and toss lightly to coat well. Arrange the apple slices evenly on top of the batter in the pan.
- Bake 50 to 60 minutes, or until the cake tested done when a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.