Peach and Blueberry Coffee Cake is a beautiful breakfast cake!
In the heart of summer… when you’ve got fresh peaches and blueberries on hand, this is the morning treat to make. It’s a sweet and tender cake with chunks of fresh fruit baked inside. And it’s topped with a simple, sweet glaze. You’ll be happy to share this peach and blueberry coffee cake with friends and family.
How to make Peach and Blueberry Coffee Cake:
For this recipe, you’ll need a 13×9-inch pan. The batter of the cake is scented with a bit of orange zest. Most of the batter is poured into the pan, and then blueberries and sliced peaches are laid out onto the batter. The remaining batter is spooned on top. If you would like the peaches and blueberries to be visible on top of the cake, you can choose to pour all of the batter in the pan and lay the fruit on top.
How to peel peaches:
Score each peach with an “X” using a sharp knife. Drop peaches into a large pot of boiling water. Let the peaches roll around in the boiling water for 30 seconds to 1 minute (until the skins loosen). Remove the peaches from the boiling water and add them to a bowl of ice water (about 30 seconds). Remove the peaches to a cutting board and use your fingers to slide the skins off. It’s that easy! Just cut them in half to remove the pits, and then you can slice them.
This peach and blueberry coffee cake is actually delicious to eat on its own with no glaze. Some people don’t like the extra sweetness on top. But the glaze instructions are in the recipe, if you want to add glaze. It’s a simple mix of powdered sugar, milk and almond extract. If you are serving to anyone who has a nut allergy, it’s okay to substitute vanilla extract for the almond.
Eat this cake as an afternoon snack or as a summer dessert. And it’s especially good to eat for breakfast with your coffee. I like to keep it stored in the refrigerator. Just cover with plastic wrap. Enjoy!
Here are a few more coffee cake recipes you might like to try:
- Candy Cane Coffee Cake
- Nectarine Coffee Cake
- Lemon Dream Coffee Cake
- Gingerbread Coffee Cake
- Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake
- Banana Coffee Cake with Streusel Topping
- Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- Two Berry Coffee Cake
Peach and Blueberry Coffee Cake
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup peeled and sliced fresh peaches
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 3 to 5 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
PREPARE THE CAKE:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13x9-inch pan with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and orange zest. Cut the butter into the mixture with a pastry blender until fine crumbs form. Add the milk, eggs and vanilla. Stir until well blended.
- Pour 3/4 of the batter into the prepared pan. Top with fruit, spreading out evenly.. Spoon the remaining batter over the fruit.
- Bake 35 to 45 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool.
PREPARE THE GLAZE:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together glaze ingredients (add enough milk to create a good drizzle consistency); drizzle over the cooled cake.
- For a more decorative look, you can dot the peaches and blueberries on top of the batter instead of burying it inside the batter.