Blackberry Lemon Pudding Cake is a lovely, lighter, summer cake.
If you’re looking for a dessert to serve in the summer months… one that utilizes fresh berries and is soft and beautiful and works perfectly with just a bit of sweetened whipped cream… then this is your dessert! This is indeed a cake… but you can see from the photo above that a pudding-like layer stays hidden underneath.
I’ve called out summer as the month to bake this cake since berries are most easy to locate and are more affordable in the warmer months. But since you can find blackberries all year long, you can certainly bake it any time of year.
How to make Blackberry Lemon Pudding Cake:
A lemon-scented basic buttermilk batter is made first. Then that batter is combined with a beaten egg white mixture. Finally, fresh blackberries are added in.
The cake is baked in a water bath. This means that the cake pan is placed into a large pan that has 1-inch of water in it. Once baked, a sprinkle of powdered sugar finishes it off.
The way it’s baked- in a water bath- helps with the wonderful textures in this Blackberry Pudding Cake. Serve it warm or cold- scooped onto a dish with a dollop of whipped cream. It’s just the kind of dessert that is perfect for devouring after an evening of summer grilling.
Thank you to Tanya from the LemonsForLulu.com blog for shooting these beautiful photos of this Blackberry Lemon Pudding Cake for me. I think she certainly was able to capture how delicious it is.
Here are a few more pudding cake recipes you might enjoy:
- Banana Pudding Poke Cake
- Chocolate Pudding Cake
- Meyer Lemon Pudding Cake
- Chocolate Pudding Fudge Cake
Blackberry Lemon Pudding Cake
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated white sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1½ cups fresh blackberries
- 3/4 teaspoon powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray an 8-inch square pan with cooking spray.
- Lightly spoon the flour into a measuring cup, and level with a knife. Combine the flour, 2/3 cup granulated sugar, salt and nutmeg in a large bowl; add the buttermilk, lemon zest, lemon juice, butter, and egg yolks, stirring with a whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Beat the egg whites with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Add 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until soft peaks form. Gently stir one-fourth of egg white mixture into the buttermilk mixture; gently fold in remaining egg white mixture. Fold in the blackberries.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Place the pan with the batter into a larger baking pan; add hot water to the larger pan to depth of 1-inch. Bake at 350°F. for 45 to 50 minutes or until the cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Sprinkle the cake with powdered sugar. Serve warm.