Here’s a simple summery recipe for Blueberry Buckle.
A buckle is like a coffee cake with a crumbly topping. This particular topping is so delicious that you could eat it all day long.
I prefer it served warm with a bit of vanilla ice cream on top. OR be bold and serve it as a coffee cake when fresh blueberries are in season!
This recipe for is fabulous in the middle of summer when blueberries are juicy, ripe and cheap!
Servings: 9 servings
- 2 cups blueberries, washed and stems removed
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 dash salt
- ¼ cup (½ stick) butter, softened
- ⅔ cup granulated white sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ⅓ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 dash nutmeg
- ¼ cup (½ stick) butter, melted
- Place the prepared blueberries in a bowl and sprinkle with lemon juice. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9x9 inch baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the butter and sugar. Blend in the beaten egg, vanilla and then milk. Add the dry ingredients to the liquid and stir until well blended. Gently fold in the berries.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan. The batter will be thick, so just take your time in spreading it into the pan.
- In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Sprinkle onto the batter.
- Drizzle the melted butter on top.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until cake is set.
Serving: 1serving, Calories: 353kcal, Carbohydrates: 57g, Protein: 5g, Fat: 12g, Saturated Fat: 7g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3g, Trans Fat: 0.4g, Cholesterol: 51mg, Sodium: 201mg, Potassium: 111mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 31g, Vitamin A: 399IU, Vitamin C: 4mg, Calcium: 94mg, Iron: 2mg
Here are a few more buckle recipes you might enjoy:
- Raspberry Buckle by Recipe Boy
- Summer Fruit Buckle by The Little Epicurean
- Strawberry Buttermilk Buckle by Boulder Locavore