These Blueberry Cookies topped with a simple lemon glaze are the perfect summer treat!
If you’re anything like me, you’re picking up fresh blueberries on every trip to the market in the summertime. Blueberries are so fresh and sweet and delicious when it’s peak season. And if you live somewhere where you can go blueberry picking, well then that’s even better!
I’m always looking for new things to do with my fresh blueberries. These blueberry cookies are a good baking option. They’re different cookies, for sure. They’re a little softer and cakier than your typical chocolate chip cookie recipe. The blueberry flavor is paired with lemon in the cookie and in the glaze too. They’re a great, summery cookie recipe!
- salted butter
- white sugar
- lemon extract
- all purpose flour
- fresh blueberries
- powdered sugar
- freshly squeezed lemon juice
How to make Blueberry Cookies:
The complete, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
Drop the blueberry cookies batter 1½ inches apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet. (I use a cookie dough scoop.) Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
Let the cookies cool completely, and then add the lemon glaze. In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice. Drizzle each cookie with a little bit of the lemon glaze. The glaze will set when it has a chance to dry.
I recommend that you use smaller blueberries for this blueberry cookies recipe. Giant blueberries just won’t work well! If you wash your blueberries, then just make sure you set them on some paper towels and let them dry completely before using in the recipe. Don’t use frozen blueberries- there will be too much moisture for the cookies to turn out just right.
The glaze is so yummy on top of these cookies. They’re a little blueberry sweet treat that you’re sure to love. Enjoy!
The Best Blueberry Dessert Recipes:
- Blueberry Gooey Butter Cake
- Lemon Blueberry Streusel Bars
- Easy Blueberry Pie
- Blueberry Raspberry Tart
- Blueberry Cobbler
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ½ teaspoon lemon extract
- ½ cup milk
- 2½ cups all purpose flour, sifted
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, picked over and stems removed
- ½ cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 to 1½ tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat mats.
MAKE THE COOKIE DOUGH:
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the butter and sugar. Beat in the egg and lemon extract. Gradually add the flour, alternating with the milk addition. Gently stir in the blueberries.
- Drop the batter 1½ inches apart as rounded spoonfuls on the prepared baking sheets. (I use a cookie dough scoop.) Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Let the cookies cool completely.
ADD THE GLAZE:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice.
- Drizzle each cookie with a little bit of the lemon glaze. The glaze will set when it has a chance to dry.
- Don't wash the blueberries! They tend to get soggy and will provide too much additional moisture to the cookie. If you absolutely must, rinse them lightly and let completely dry before using.