This Brownie Pie a la Mode is a super easy dessert recipe. Picture a warm brownie pie fresh out of the oven and topped with vanilla ice cream and a quick and easy homemade fudge sauce.
This brownie pie recipe is a good recipe for fudgy brownies that is made in a pie plate instead of a typical brownie pan. It’s cut into slices, just like pie, and it’s best to eat when it’s still warm and a little bit gooey.
I made this brownie pie recipe for the first time at a little family barbecue we were having one summer. It was the kind of barbecue where the adults are all mingling and the kids are running around like banshees in the backyard. When it came time for dessert, we instructed the kids to “go get a slice.” By the time the adults reached the pan, there wasn’t a crumb left. This pie is good!
I love the simplicity of a recipe like this. There is nothing fancy about a brownie pie. Store bought ice cream added on top is perfect. You can opt for a different flavor ice cream, if you wish. And if you’re not into making the homemade fudge sauce (though it’s pretty good, so I don’t recommend skipping it!), you can certainly buy some hot fudge at the store instead.
Brownie Pie a la Mode
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/3 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 1/3 cups vanilla ice cream
MAKE THE BROWNIE PIE:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick spray.
- Combine sugar, butter and water in medium saucepan. Cook over medium-heat, stirring occasionally, just until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat. Immediately add chocolate chips; stir until melted. Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes. Add eggs; beat with spoon until well-blended.
- Stir together flour, baking soda and salt. Add to chocolate mixture; stir until well-blended. Stir in vanilla and nuts, if desired; pour into prepared pie plate.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until almost set. (pie will not test done in center) I like to pull it out a little early since I like gooey brownies!
PREPARE THE FUDGE SAUCE:
- Combine all sauce ingredients in medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on HIGH 1 minute; stir. If necessary, microwave on HIGH an additional 15 seconds at a time, stirring after each heating, just until chips are melted and mixture is smooth.
- Top warm pie slices with 1/3 cup scoops of ice cream and a drizzle of the fudge sauce.
- shortcut tip: purchase hot fudge from the store instead of making this homemade version.