This Butter Dream Cookies recipe has been a holiday favorite in my family for over 40 years.
One RecipeGirl reader said that he got this from the Crisco shortening container many years ago. That doesn’t surprise me at all. My Mom was always cutting recipes out of magazines and gathering favorites from friends.
Sometimes the brand containers shared the best recipes too. So she made these butter dream cookies as a holiday cookie when I was little. And now they’re on my holiday baking list too!
The fun part about making these a holiday cookie is that you can use maraschino cherries in the middle to make things look festive. And since they sell both red and green maraschino cherries, you can buy both and make some green and some red.
I actually don’t like to eat maraschino cherries at all, so I always take mine out before eating. But the maraschino cherry juice they leave behind is delicious!
I suggest you add these to your list of Christmas cookies to bake this year, and you might just find that you have a winner that you’ll want to repeat every year. Enjoy!
Here are a few more holiday cookie recipes you might enjoy:
- Chocolate Peppermint Bark Cookies
- Eggnog Cookies
- Italian Christmas Cookies
- Chewy Molasses Spice Cookies
- Holiday Nuggets
Butter Dream Cookies
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup solid shortening
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2¼ cups all purpose flour
- red and/or green maraschino cherries, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat mats.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the butter, shortening, and sugar. Blend in the almond extract and flour. Shape into balls and set on a baking sheet 2-inches apart.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. If using cherries, press ½ of a maraschino cherry in the center of each cookie as soon as they come out of the oven. Let cool for several minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.