Easy, delicious recipe for Butternut Squash Risotto
Butternut Squash Risotto
Prep Time:25 minutes
Cook Time:40 minutes
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth (use vegetable for vegetarian)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage
- 1 small butternut squash- peeled, seeded, and grated (about 4 cups)
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Warm the broth in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, salt and pepper and cook for 4 minutes. Add the sage and cook for 1 minute. Add squash and garlic and cook until the squash begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring constantly, for 3 minutes. Add the wine and cook, stirring frequently, until the liquid is absorbed, about 3 minutes. Add the broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring occasionally and waiting until it is absorbed before adding more. It should take about 30 minutes for all of the broth to be absorbed.
- Remove from heat and stir in the Parmesan. Spoon into individual bowls.
- If you are preparing this recipe as GLUTEN FREE, just be sure to use a brand of chicken broth that is known to be GF.
- To grate butternut squash, rub peeled squash against the large holes of a box grater, or roughly chop it, then pulse it in a food processor.