Chicken Divan is a comforting casserole of chicken, broccoli, and cheese, with a creamy sauce and crispy bread crumbs on top. Serve it over rice for a complete meal!
Casseroles don’t get much praise but guys, this Chicken Divan is seriously divine! I grew up eating casseroles and always enjoyed them. I mean, they’re loaded with rice, chicken, veggies, a creamy sauce to bring it all together, and then they either have a cheesy topping or crispy topping… and this one has both!
To make this chicken divan you first need some chicken. You can use rotisserie chicken or cook your own chicken breasts.
How to make cooked chicken breast:
There are several ways you can make cooked chicken breast to be used in recipes. Season your chicken breasts with salt and pepper, and then cook them in the slow cooker on low for 4 hours, in the pressure cooker (Instant Pot) for 10 minutes on high pressure with a 5 minute natural release, or wrap them in foil on a baking sheet and bake them at 350 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes. All of these methods produce moist juicy chicken. After the chicken cools, chop it into pieces.
The next ingredient is broccoli. You’ll need to steam the broccoli until it is crisp tender. Be sure to not over cook it because you’ll be cooking it again.
How to steam broccoli:
Bring about an inch of water to a boil in the bottom of a pot into which your steamer basket or insert fits. Put trimmed and cleaned broccoli florets in the steamer basket, set over the boiling water, cover, and steam until tender to the bite, about 3 minutes for crisp-tender.
Once you have the chicken and broccoli ready and placed in the dish, the rest of the preparation of this Chicken Divan is a piece of cake! Mix the cream of chicken soup with the chicken broth (you can use the broth from when you cooked your chicken!) and curry powder. No need to cook and thicken it. Just pour it over the top of the broccoli and then sprinkle on the cheese.
The last step (which is very important because it’s one of my favorite parts) is the crispy topping. Combine the breadcrumbs, Parmesan and melted butter together and then sprinkle it over the top. You can use regular bread crumbs but Panko are bigger crumbs that are crispier. I use them for everything!
You can place the casserole in the refrigerator to cook later, or go ahead and pop it into the oven and bake for just 20 minutes until it’s heated through and the topping is golden and crisp.
I like to serve it over rice because it soaks up the yummy curry sauce, and it basically becomes chicken broccoli casserole.
Here are a few more casserole recipes you might enjoy:
- Turkey Noodle Casserole
- Beef Burrito Casserole
- Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole
- Cauliflower Pizza Casserole
- Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
- Ritz Chicken Casserole
- Cheesy Beef and Pasta Casserole
- 3 cups cooked and chopped chicken breasts
- 4 cups cooked broccoli florets
- 1 10.5-ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons Panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- steamed rice, for serving (if desired)
- Spray a 9 inch pie plate with nonstick spray, and preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place the chicken in the bottom of the pie dish and top with the steamed broccoli. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, and yellow curry powder. Pour this mixture evenly over the broccoli and then sprinkle with the cheddar cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, Parmesan and melted butter. Sprinkle over the top of the casserole. Bake for 20 minutes until bubbly and golden. Serve over steamed rice, if desired.
- Nutritional information does not include rice.