I have made this gelato many times- it’s so darn good: Chocolate Cinnamon Gelato with Toffee Bits
Chocolate Cinnamon Gelato with Heath Bar Toffee Bits
- ½ cup granulated white sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1¼ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups whole milk, divided
- 5 ounces bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped (not unsweetened chocolate)
- ½ cup chilled heavy whipping cream
- 2 whole Heath or Skor candy bars, crushed into small pieces
- Whisk the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and salt in a heavy, medium saucepan until blended. Gradually add ¼ cup milk, whisking until cornstarch is dissolved. Whisk in remaining 1¾ cups milk. Whisk over medium high heat until mixture thickens and comes to boil, about 6 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and cook 1 minute longer, whisking occasionally. Remove from heat; add chocolate. Let stand 1 minute, then whisk until melted and smooth.
- Transfer gelato base to medium bowl. Mix in cream. Cover and place in the refrigerator until well chilled (at least 1 hour). It will thicken quite a lot.
- Process the gelato base in ice cream maker according the manufacturer's instructions, adding toffee during the last minute of churning. Transfer to container; cover. Freeze at least 3 hours and up to 2 days.
- If you are preparing this recipe as gluten-free, just be sure to use toffee and chocolate that is known to be GF.
- As with any ice cream recipe, it will turn out best if the container is frozen for at least 24 hours prior to processing.
- The ice cream base should be well chilled before making.