This Chocolate Pudding Cake recipe is so easy to make, it’s ridiculous! Be sure to watch the how-to video included in this post.
I like to make this cake when I need a dessert right now and I don’t have time to bake a traditional chocolate cake. This chocolate pudding cake is super easy to make- all in one pan- and it turns out very chocolatey and tender. The baked texture of the cake turns out to have a chocolate pudding-like texture.
- all purpose flour
- white sugar
- semisweet chocolate chips
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- baking powder
- canola or vegetable oil
- low fat buttermilk
- brown sugar
How to make Chocolate Pudding Cake:
In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, chocolate chips, unsweetened cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Add oil and buttermilk, and stir to create the cake batter.
How do you make Buttermilk?
It’s not likely that you will have buttermilk in your fridge when you need it for a recipe. It’s a good thing that it’s super easy to make at home. Add one tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar to a 1-cup measure. Fill the rest of the cup with milk and let it sit for 5 minutes. This is your substitute for buttermilk! Since you need 1 1/2 cups of buttermilk for this recipe, add 1 1/2 tablespoons of lemon juice or vinegar to your 2-cup measuring cup and then fill the cup to the 1 1/2 cup measure with milk.
Scrape the cake batter evenly into the bottom of an 8×8-inch square pan.
Then make the cake topping. Combine brown sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder and chocolate chips. Sprinkle the topping mixture over the cake batter in the pan. Then pour a cup of buttermilk over the top. Don’t mix it to combine!
Bake the chocolate pudding cake for about 40 minutes, until the edges are firm and the cake springs back when touched. Let it cool for a while, and then serve hot, warm or at room temperature.
When serving this cake, be sure to scoop all the way to the bottom as well to scoop up the delicious chocolate pudding that has settled at the bottom of the cake. It’s really good topped with vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
Chocolate Pudding Cake
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated white sugar
- ¼ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- ½ cup low fat buttermilk
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup low fat buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour an 8x8-inch square pan.
MAKE THE CAKE BATTER:
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, sugar, chocolate chips, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Add the oil and buttermilk; stir until the thick batter is evenly moistened. Scrape the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
ADD THE TOPPING AND BAKE:
- In the same bowl (no need to wash), combine the brown sugar with the cocoa powder and chocolate chips. Scatter the mixture over the batter in the pan. Evenly pour the remaining 1 cup buttermilk over the brown sugar mixture; do not stir.
- Bake until edges of the cake feel firm and spring back when lightly pressed, about 40 minutes.
- Let the cake cool in the pan on a rack for at least 15 minutes. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature in bowls, scooping under the cake to the pan bottom to include pudding with each portion. It's great served with vanilla ice cream!
Super easy but way too sweet and lacking depth of flavor for some reason. Smelled fantastic while baking and looked fantastic but it’s just a weird kind of texture.. too thick and way too sweet. Sorry…. I wanted to like it. I’m sure it would be much better on ice cream as a topping
What a great recipe! I figured it would probably involve boxed pudding mix, but to my delight it does not! This cake is definitely happening in my near future.
Very nice and easy recipe.. Loved making it.. 🙂