Citrus Margaritas are truly really good margaritas!
This recipe for Citrus Margaritas is unique because it combines a few fresh juices together to create a refreshing margarita. Freshly squeezed orange, lime and grapefruit juices are the stars of the show here. The juices are combined with Cointreau and tequila, and all is shaken with ice and poured into a salt-rimmed margarita glass. Orange, lime or grapefruit slices can be slid onto the rims to create a beautiful citrus garnish.
Tips for choosing the juiciest, ripe oranges, limes and grapefruit:
When a recipe calls for squeezing fresh juice out of a lime or an orange, you want to get the juiciest fruit possible. But how can you tell if a these fruits are going to yield a good amount of juice? Pick up the fruit and squeeze it slightly. You’re looking for limes and oranges that have a little bit of give to it. They should feel heavy too. Limes and oranges with a thinner skin will be juicier, so be aware of that as well.
With grapefruit, it’s a little more difficult to spot juicy fruit. Grapefruit generally tends to have thicker skin, so it’s tough to tell if it’s juicy just by squeezing. Pick it up and try to find one that feels heavier than the others. A heavier grapefruit will be a juicier grapefruit.
Margaritas are great to serve at parties since everyone seems to like them. These Citrus Margaritas will be a welcome change from the more classic margarita recipe. Be sure to pick up a bunch of margarita glasses for your party (they’re pretty inexpensive). You’ll also need margarita salt. Be sure to ask your guests if they prefer salt or no-salt before serving.
This recipe makes about 6 margaritas. Double or triple the recipe if you’re entertaining. Usually everyone wants at least two!
Here are a few more margarita recipes you might enjoy:
- Strawberry Margaritas
- Avocado Margaritas
- Pineapple Margaritas
- Spicy Grapefruit Margaritas
- Watermelon- Mango Margaritas
- Old Town Margaritas
- 1 cup cointreau (or another orange-flavored liqueur)
- 1 cup tequila
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- lime wedges
- margarita salt
- orange, lime or grapefruit slices, for garnish
- Combine the liqueur, tequila, orange juice, lime juice and grapefruit juice in a large pitcher and mix well. Chill, covered, in the refrigerator.
- For guests who prefer salt, rub the rims of your margarita glasses with lime wedges and dip in margarita salt. Fill the glasses with ice. Shake the chilled margarita mixture in a cocktail shaker filled with ice and strain into the prepared glasses. Garnish each serving with orange, lime and/or grapefruit slices.