Coconut Custard Pie is a delicious and different kind of pie to enjoy… especially if you’re a coconut lover!
Since my old fashioned custard pie recipe is such a big hit on the website, I thought it would be appropriate to include a coconut variation too. It’s creamy and wonderful. And there are sweet coconut flakes mixed in to create that amazing coconut custard combination. Some of the coconut floats to the top, which helps with developing a golden brown crusty layer on the surface of this coconut custard pie.
- white sugar
- whole milk
- heavy whipping cream
- all purpose flour
- vanilla extract
- ground nutmeg
- sweetened coconut flakes
- one pre-made (or homemade) pie crust
- whipped cream or Cool Whip
- toasted coconut flakes, if desired
How to make Coconut Custard Pie:
Combine the coconut custard ingredients, and pour the filling into a raw pie shell. You can purchase a pie shell or make your own favorite homemade pie crust. Bake about 55 minutes. You’ll want to have a pie shield on hand. Check the pie’s progress at about 45 minutes to make sure the crust isn’t browning too much. Use the pie shield to cover the crust, if it is.
When it comes out of the oven, cool the pie to room temperature. Then refrigerate the coconut custard pie for 2 to 4 hours until it is well chilled.
Slice and serve!
Top individual servings with whipped cream or Cool Whip. Add a sprinkle of toasted coconut flakes on top too, if desired.
How to toast coconut:
Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and spread the coconut out on the baking sheet. Bake for 3 minutes. Stir, and then bake for an additional 3 to 4 minutes- or until the coconut is golden brown. Keep an eye on it! Coconut can go from white to burned in seconds… so if it’s browning too quickly then you might have a disaster on your hands. Let it cool completely, and then it’s ready to use as a garnish for your pie.
This is one delicious pie that is a favorite among many pie people. Enjoy!
Coconut Custard Pie
- ¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1¾ cups whole milk
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- One 9-inch pie crust, homemade or store-bought
- whipped cream or Cool Whip
- coconut flakes, toasted (if desired)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the butter and sugar until well-mixed. Beat in the eggs, and then the milk, cream, flour, vanilla, salt, and nutmeg. Stir in the coconut flakes.
- Pour the coconut mixture into the raw pie crust.
- Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50 to 60 minutes. Check the pie at the 45 minute mark (and every 5 minutes after) and if the crust is getting too dark, put a pie crust shield or foil on it to prevent it from over-browning.
- Before slicing, cool the pie to room temperature and then refrigerate to chill, about 2 to 4 hours.
- If desired, serve the pie topped with whipped cream or Cool Whip and a sprinkle of toasted coconut flakes.
If using store-bought pie crust, make sure to thaw it to room temperature before using.
- For a more intense coconut flavor, add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract at the same time that you add the vanilla extract.