These Cold Sesame Noodles are a really delicious peanut butter Asian noodle recipe.
Peanut butter lovers… these Cold Sesame Noodles are for YOU!
Ah, Tyler Florence… he’s one of those chefs that I actually *watch* on Food Network… sometimes because he’s just easy-on-the-eyes, and sometimes because he’s making something droolworthy, like these Cold Sesame Noodles.
Chinese egg pasta is tossed with a peanut buttery sauce to create a creamy Asian-style noodle dish. Cool, sliced cucumbers act as a refreshing accompaniment and a welcome bite among the rich flavors.
This recipe comes from Tyler Florence’s cookbook, Tyler’s Ultimate… loads of appetizing pictures and good-sounding recipes. It’s a definite keeper.
My family thinks these noodles are great, but I really think you have to be a peanut butter fan to enjoy this one. My 7 year old (an avid peanut butter lover) has re-named it, “Peanut Butter Spaghetti.”
If you’re looking for a few more Asian-style recipes, you might also enjoy my Easy Shrimp Fried Rice or this 15 Minute Lo Mein. Sweet and Spicy Chicken Lettuce Wraps and Spicy Sesame Chicken Potstickers are also delicious Asian recipes.
Cold Sesame Noodles
- 8 ounces Chinese egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 whole green onions, sliced on the diagonal
- 1 1-inch piece of ginger, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon red chile paste (such as sambal oelek)
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons hot water
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- cucumber slices for garnish, optional
- fresh cilantro leaves for garnish, optional
- Cook the noodles in a large pot of boiling unsalted water over medium heat until barely tender and still firm. Drain immediately and rinse with cold water until cool. Drain the noodles really well and transfer to a wide bowl; toss with the sesame oil so they don't stick together.
- In a small saucepan, heat the peanut oil over medium-low. Add the green onions, ginger, garlic, and chili paste. Cook and stir for a minute until soft and fragrant. Mix in the brown sugar, peanut butter, vinegar, soy sauce, and hot water. Stir until the sugar is dissolved and the peanut butter has smoothed out. Toss the noodles with the peanut sauce until well coated. Serve at room temperature or chilled. Garnish with sesame seeds, cucumber slices and cilantro