These Asian Lettuce Wraps are a nice, lighter choice for dinner.
Has it been an indulgent summer? It’s hard not to be making comfort food these days- whatever the time of year it is. But these Asian Lettuce Wraps are a nice diversion from over-indulging comfort. They’ll give you comfort too. They’re delicious, but they’re a lighter take on dinner for sure.
Ingredients needed for Asian Lettuce Wraps:
- canola or vegetable oil
- shallot, garlic and ginger
- ground turkey or ground pork
- soy sauce, chili sauce and fish sauce
- fresh mint and fresh cilantro
- Boston lettuce leaves
We’ve served these Asian Lettuce Wraps for dinner at my house many times, but they make a perfectly fine appetizer too. Picture munching on them on a relaxing afternoon while watching a movie or lounging by the pool.
Try substituting ground pork or ground chicken for the ground turkey. Romaine leaves can be used in place of the Boston lettuce (though I think the Boston lettuce works wonderfully for wrapping around the filling). And chopped cashews may be used in place of the peanuts. If you’re not a nut family (or have allergies), you may leave off the nuts entirely.
The filling for these Asian Lettuce Wraps is slightly sweet and very flavorful. Mint and cilantro add some great, fresh flavors to the wraps. Using lettuce as the wrap cuts out calories and keeps things light and healthy. And I love the crunch of the peanuts with the filling. I think you’re going to like this one. Enjoy!
Here are a few more Asian-themed recipes you might like to try:
- Asian Turkey Salad
- Asian Vegetable Stir Fry
- Sesame Chicken
- Asian Salmon Steaks
- Easy Mongolian Beef
- Udon Noodles with Asian Vegetables and Peanut Sauce
- Asian Spiced Pork Tenderloin
- Asian Barbecue Chicken
Asian Lettuce Wraps
- 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
- 1 medium shallot, minced
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 16 ounces ground turkey or ground pork
- 1/4 cup bottled chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped mint leaves
- 1/3 cup minced peanuts
- 1 head Boston or butter lettuce, separated into leaves
- Heat oil in a wok or large skillet. Stir fry shallots in hot oil for several minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and stir fry for 1 minute. Add the ground meat and separate for even cooking. Stir in the chili sauce, soy sauce, fish sauce and sugar.
- Cook until the meat is brown and crumbly and the liquid is reduced, stirring frequently. Stir in the cilantro. Spoon the meat mixture into a serving bowl. Place the mint leaves and peanuts in small bowls and the lettuce on a platter.
- For serving, spoon the meat mixture onto a lettuce leaf and top with a couple of mint leaves and minced peanuts. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.