Here’s a recipe for a little something different to do with your salad: Cranberry Almond Broccoli Salad
Salad is a common occurrence at my house. We usually make a green salad every which way to go with our meals, but even that can get a little boring at times. I found myself in barbecue-with-friends situation the other day. “I’ll bring the salad!” I offered. I thought someone else would probably make the classic green salad, so I decided on a broccoli salad instead.
I’ve actually made a couple of different broccoli salad recipes in my time as RecipeGirl (scroll under the recipe below to see my other versions), but since I like to make new things… I dug around on the internet for some new ideas. This idea comes from Cooking Light– though I changed it up greatly to create my own version.
The salad is tossed lightly in a mayo-sour cream based dressing, but I’d say the flavor highlights in this one are the dried cranberries, toasted almonds and crispy prosciutto.
It’s a good salad recipe to share with friends!
Cranberry Almond Broccoli Salad
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- ⅔ cup mayonnaise (light is ok)
- ¾ cup sour cream (light is ok)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 10 cups coarsely chopped broccoli florets (about 3 good sized crowns)
- ⅓ cup slivered almonds, toasted
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- 6 slices prosciutto, fried in a pan until crisp; crumbled
- Soak red onion in cold water for 5 minutes, drain.
- To prepare the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, honey, salt and pepper.
- Place the broccoli in a large bowl. Drizzle the dressing on top and toss well to coat the broccoli. Sprinkle in the onion, almonds, cranberries and prosciutto. Toss gently to mix in.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour before serving.
Here are a few more broccoli salad recipes you might enjoy:
- Lemon Poppyseed Broccoli Salad by Chelsea’s Messy Apron
- Broccoli Salad by RecipeGirl
- Broccoli Salad with Blueberries and Honey-Toasted Walnuts by The Roasted Root
- Broccoli Salad with Vinaigrette by RecipeGirl
We are always looking for new ways to change up our salads too and broccoli salad is a favorite. This looks SO delicious and I can’t wait to try it soon!
I always add cranberries to our broccoli salad! This looks so good and I wish I had a big bowl of this deliciousness right now!
I saw this recipe in Cooking Light and because I love broccoli salad SO MUCH, I almost made it. But got sidetracked. And now…I have to make it. Thank you for the beautiful inspiration!