This Beet and Goat Cheese Arugula Salad is a big time favorite salad recipe. The beets are tossed with a balsamic dressing and then roasted in the oven to caramelize.
Beet and Goat Cheese Arugula Salad
Prep Time:20 minutes
Cook Time:12 minutes
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 medium beets, cooked and quartered
- 6 cups arugula
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted & coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 large avocado, peeled, pitted & cubed
- 3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- Line a baking sheet with foil. Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Whisk vinegar, shallots and honey in a medium bowl to blend. Gradually whisk in the oil. Season the vinaigrette, to taste, with salt and pepper. Toss the beets in a small bowl with enough dressing to coat. Place the beets on the prepared baking sheet and roast until the beets are slightly caramelized, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes. Set aside and cool.
- Toss the arugula, walnuts, and cranberries in a large bowl with enough vinaigrette to coat. Season the salad, to taste, with salt and pepper. Mound the salad atop 4 plates. Arrange the beets around the salad. Sprinkle with the avocado and goat cheese, and serve.
- You can also use dried cherries in place of cranberries.
- Look for cooked beets in the produce section at Trader Joes or at well-stocked grocery stores. To cook them yourself, roast them in the oven until a knife can slip through the beet easily.