This Spinach and Arugula Salad with Indian Spiced Chickpeas is truly one of my favorite, really different salad recipes. There is so much flavor going on in one salad. I love to serve this salad with simply grilled steak or chicken.
I don’t care for raw onions, but in this recipe, the onions are roasted. They get a just-slighty-caramelized /just-barely charred flavor that is tempting to nibble on and perfect to top the salad.
The chickpeas are are sauteed with bursting mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Just enough to give them the flavor needed to carry the salad.
A squeeze of lemon juice is all that is needed to dress this salad. It’s just a simple flavor to contribute to the salad that doesn’t take away from the chickpea and roasted onion superstars.
Spinach and Arugula Salad with Indian Spiced Chickpeas
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 3 medium red onions, trimmed and cut into wedges
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 tablespoons extra- virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons brown mustard seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 4 handfuls each of spinach and arugula
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Toss onion wedges in 1 tablespoon oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and roast until charred at the edges. (check on them every 5 minutes until done.)
- Heat remaining 3 tablespoons of oil in a nonstick skillet on medium and add mustard seeds. When they begin to pop, cover the pan and let them finish (20 to 30 seconds). Immediately turn down the heat to prevent the seeds from burning and add garlic and cumin seeds. Toss until garlic and cumin are toasted. Add chickpeas and toss to coat in the spices and oil. Remove from heat.
- Assemble salad: Place greens in each of four bowls. Sprinkle with chickpeas. Split roasted onions between the salads. Squeeze lemon juice over each salad and sprinkle with kosher salt. Serve immediately.
- 4 Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints per serving