Cranberry Sauce Cake is a good way to use up leftover cranberry sauce from the holidays!
This cranberry sauce cake is a lovely simple cake with hints of both orange and cranberry (made for each other). A quick and easy glaze is drizzled on top. I’d say it would be a nice cake to serve to guests over the holidays, and it could certainly pass for a morning coffee cake too.
About fresh cranberries and canned cranberry sauce:
When Thanksgiving rolls around, I frantically start buying up all the fresh cranberries and canned cranberry sauce I can find. I love to keep fresh cranberries in my freezer all year long because I often decide to make things with cranberries in them when it’s not cranberry season! They freeze beautifully, and they’re ready to add to recipes at any time.
And I keep the canned variety of cranberry sauce in my pantry because the boys in my house like the canned stuff! It’s good for adding to recipes too- like this cranberry sauce cake!
Since I go a little bit overboard with my purchases of all things cranberry, I decided I’d better share my cranberry sauce cake recipe with you. I figured you probably have some cranberry sauce lurking around in your pantry too! You’ll need the whole berry variety for this recipe. Enjoy!
Here are a few more cake recipes you might enjoy:
Cranberry Sauce Cake
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1½ cups granulated white sugar
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- One 16-ounce can whole berry cranberry sauce
- ⅓ cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons orange juice
MAKE THE CAKE:
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Spray a 10-inch tube pan generously with nonstick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine all of the cake ingredients, stirring in the nuts last. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake 60 to 70 minutes. Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack and cool completely.
ADD THE ICING:
- In a medium bowl, combine the icing ingredients- adding enough juice to create a drizzling consistency. Drizzle the icing over the cake.
- Add orange extract to icing for more orange flavor.
- If you are unable to locate orange extract, you may leave it out... but the orange flavor won't be quite as pronounced.