This Creamy Broccoli Soup is full of great flavors!
Surely you grew up eating cream of mushroom soup and cream of chicken soup, right? At least those were probably added to recipes that your Mom made… recipes she clipped from Betty Crocker or magazines aimed at stay-at-home Mom’s. This is the vision I have of cream soups. I was a child of the 70’s.
No one really goes for those canned cream soups much anymore, and this recipe isn’t anything like them.
In this Creamy Broccoli Soup recipe, broccoli and onion are sauteed with butter and oil and plenty of herbs and spices. Chicken or vegetable broth is added in, and the broccoli is simmered until tender.
The broccoli is then pureed in a blender or food processor, and then it’s returned to the pan.
To create more of a creamy texture, milk is added in. I use whole milk, and I find that creamy enough. You can certainly use half and half cream if you prefer a richer texture.
This is such a simple, healthy soup. I love the creamy texture, and there are plenty of vegetables in there for you! If you happen to be following the Weight Watchers Freestyle program, a bowl of this soup (the recipe makes six servings) will cost you 3 Freestyle SmartPoints.
I’m a big fan of pine nuts, so I like to add the optional pine nuts to individual servings of this soup. Make sure you toast them, since that brings out their best flavor. You can also choose to garnish with a few extra herbs.
If you’re looking for more vegetable themed soup recipes, you might enjoy trying my Cream of Mushroom Soup or this Cauliflower Leek Soup. Sweet Corn Soup, Fresh Tomato Soup, and Zucchini and Rosemary Soup are also vegetable soup recipes worth trying!
Creamy Broccoli Soup
This creamy broccoli soup is perfect topped with toasted pine nuts!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds (7 to 8 cups) broccoli, stems peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks, florets broken into medium-sized pieces
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated white sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk or half & half cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted (optional)
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the broccoli, then onion, and sauté, stirring frequently until the broccoli starts to turn golden brown, 7 to 8 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and add butter, sugar, and garlic. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are a rich caramel color, about 10 minutes longer.
Add the dried herbs and spices and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add the broth and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, partially covered, until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a food processor and puree in batches.
Return soup to the skillet (or pour into a pot if the skillet will not hold the milk). Add enough milk to thin the soup to desired consistency, season with salt and pepper to taste, and heat through. Ladle into bowls, sprinkle pine nuts on top (if using), and serve.
- WEIGHT WATCHERS FREESTYLE SMARTPOINTS PER SERVING: 3
- Nutritional information was figured using whole milk and does not include the optional pine nuts.
- If preparing this soup as gluten free, just be sure to use a brand of chicken broth that is labeled as GF.