Creamy Cucumber Salad is a delicious, easy, Keto and WW-friendly salad recipe that’s good for you too.
I love this salad for its simplicity. Cucumber-based salads are crunchy and satisfying, and they are usually pretty easy to make (like my Tomato, Cucumber and Basil Salad). There is a short list of seven easy-to-find ingredients for this salad, and all ingredients are bright and fresh. If you’re stuck in a rut of making green leaf salads, it’s time to try something new!
This recipe comes from The Dirty, Lazy, Keto, No-Time-To-Cook Cookbook by Stephanie Laska. This is a cookbook filled with 100 easy-to-make Keto recipes that can be made in 30 minutes or less. If you’re following the “Keto” way of eating, this book is a must-have for your cookbook shelf!
Here are a few recipes in the book that have caught my eye: Delivery Donuts, Shortcut Cinnamon Toast Sticks, Thai Time Crunch Salad, Minestrone Zippy Zoodle Soup, Deviled Avocados, Vietnamese Spring Rolls to Go, Taco Pizza, Zucchini Zoom Zoom Bread, Broccoli Alfredo, Sriracha Brussels Sprouts, Presto Chicken Parmesan, Snappy Stuffed Salmon and Barely Any Work Beef and Broccoli Bowl. There are even desserts and drinks! Caramel Macchiato, Fast Fudge and Crash Course Chocolate Chip Cookies are on my Keto list!
- red onion
- fresh dill
- sour cream
What kind of cucumbers are best for salad?
Hothouse cucumbers (also known as English cucumbers) are the best kind of cucumber to use for cucumber salad. They have a thin skin and smaller seeds. There is no need to peel cucumbers for this recipe. Hothouse cucumbers are found in your market- usually wrapped in plastic wrap. You can also use regular cucumbers for this recipe, but the skin is much thicker and may have a tougher texture.
How to make Creamy Cucumber Salad:
The base of the salad is simply made of sliced cucumber and chopped red onion. So you’ll toss those two ingredients in a bowl.
The salad dressing is made of sour cream, mayonnaise, minced garlic, lemon, fresh dill and salt/pepper. Those ingredients are all whisked together, and then the dressing is tossed with the cucumber and red onion in the bowl to create a creamy cucumber salad.
Creamy Cucumber Salad will have maximum flavor if given a chance to chill for a little while before eating. Cover it with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour and up to 4 hours before serving.
This recipe makes 4 servings. Feel free to double all of the ingredients if you want to serve it to more people.
Keto cucumber salad:
This recipe comes from a cookbook full of Keto recipes, so it will fit naturally into a Keto diet plan.
Weight Watchers cucumber salad:
If you are on the WW plan, this salad works as a WW salad too. If you divide the salad into four equal servings, each serving will count as 3 points on any color plan. You can reduce the points to just ONE POINT if you use light mayonnaise instead of full-fat mayonnaise and light sour cream instead of full-fat sour cream.
Creamy Cucumber Salad
- 2 medium cucumbers (skin left on), sliced
- ½ medium red onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 medium garlic clove, peeled and minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- In a medium bowl, toss together the cucumbers and onion.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Pour the dressing on top of the vegetables and stir to coat.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Give it a stir prior to serving.
- FOR THE WW PROGRAM: If prepared as written, each serving should be counted as 3 points on any color plan. If you use light sour cream and light mayonnaise, the point count will be 1 point on any color WW plan.
- If you are preparing this recipe as gluten-free, just be sure to use a brand of mayonnaise that is known to be GF.