Here’s an easy and delicious Tomato, Cucumber and Basil Salad recipe.
Tomatoes are at their best right now. Grab some from the Farmer’s Market, and you’ll see what I mean! A red ripe, summer tomato is as good to eat as an apple. Throw it into a salad with crunchy cucumbers, onion and a simple herb dressing, and you have a lovely summer side dish known here as the Tomato, Cucumber and Basil Salad.
This recipe comes from The Dash Diet 30-Minute Cookbook by Christy Ellingsworth. I had never even heard of the Dash Diet until recently. Apparently it was named as the best overall diet program by US News and World Report. The goal of this diet is to prevent and low high blood pressure. It emphasizes foods that you know are good for you- fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean protein and low-fat dairy. And it asks you to avoid calorie- and fat-laden sweets and red meat and cut back on salt. I’m not on this diet, and I don’t intend to follow it… but I’m enjoying the cookbook for the healthy options it offers.
Here are a few recipes I’ve bookmarked to try: Homemade Sausage Patties, Ground Turkey Sloppy Joes, 2-Minute Refried Beans, Southwestern Salmon, Coconut Cauliflower Curry, Chewy Granola Bars and Chocolate Chip Banana Muffin Top Cookies.
This is a re-post of a recipe I shared with you back in 2016. It has become one of my favorite salad recipes. I make this recipe over and over again all year long.
I can sit and eat this whole bowl for lunch. When it’s so hot in the summer, a salad is a welcome meal for sure! It’s super simple to make, and everyone always loves it.
And of course, it’s gorgeous too. I recommend you make this Cucumber, Tomato and Basil Salad and serve it with a beautiful, grilled steak and a glass of red wine. If you’re not into that idea, just make the salad and enjoy it with whatever you’d like!
A note about the cucumbers:
This recipe calls for scraping out the seeds of the cucumber and then slicing it to put it in the salad. You can see in the photos that the cucumber ends up being little moon-shaped slices. I like it this way. But if you’d prefer to just slice your cucumbers and add them to your salad, you can certainly do it that way too.
This is a good way to celebrate the delicious summer vegetable harvest. Enjoy!
If you happen to be following the Weight Watchers WW program, there is a link to the WW Points in the recipe card below.
The Best Tomato Salad Recipes:
- Shallot- Mustard Tomato Salad
- Avocado- Cucumber Tomato Salad
- Avocado and Tomato Salad
- Fresh Mozzarella and Kumato Tomato Salad
- Tomato, Caper, Olive and Blue Cheese Salad
- Tomato Salad with Sweet Onions
- Fresh Corn and Tomato Salad
Tomato, Cucumber and Basil Salad
- 1 large hothouse cucumber
- 6 medium Campari tomatoes, quartered
- ½ small sweet onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Peel the cucumber, slice in half lengthwise, then use a spoon to gently scrape out the seeds. Slice the cucumber and place into a bowl. Add the tomato, onion and basil.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, olive oil, garlic and pepper. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat. Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.