Creamy Pesto Chicken is an easy to make chicken recipe served over pasta with the most delicious creamy pesto sauce drizzled on top.
If you’re like me, your family likes chicken but you’re always looking for different ways to make it. Well, this is a new recipe for me. The chicken turns out super tender, and the sauce is amazing. You get to turn it into a pasta dinner too (if you’d like) by serving it over some hot, steaming pasta drizzled with extra creamy pesto sauce!
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- extra virgin olive oil
- salted butter
- garlic cloves
- all purpose flour
- chicken broth
- heavy whipping cream
- grated Parmesan cheese
- prepared pesto
- Italian seasoning
How to make Creamy Pesto Chicken:
The complete, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
And there you go! Sprinkle some fresh basil on top, if you’d like. It’s a pretty impressive and delicious chicken recipe to serve for guests too. They’ll be gobbling up every bite!
Creamy pesto chicken is made with prepared pesto sauce that you can buy at the market. But it’s also excellent made with sun-dried tomato pesto sauce too. Look for both in the pasta sauce or produce aisle at your market. Your choice. Enjoy!
The Best Chicken Recipes:
- Apricot Balsamic Chicken
- Parmesan Crusted Chicken
- Garlic Butter Chicken
- Baked Cornflake Chicken
- Cranberry Chicken
Creamy Pesto Chicken
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (pounded out to an even thickness)
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons prepared pesto or sun-dried tomato pesto
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Add salt and pepper to each side of each chicken breast.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 3 to 5 minutes on each side (depending on the thickness of the chicken) until the chicken is almost cooked through. Then transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add the butter to the same skillet and keep heat at medium-high. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Stir in the flour. Stir in the chicken broth, cream and Parmesan. Stir in the pesto and Italian seasoning. Reduce heat to a simmer, and heat until it thickens a bit. Add the cooked chicken breasts to the sauce and simmer for a few more minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve over hot cooked pasta or rice.