This Creamy Sausage Mushroom Pasta recipe is pure comfort food with shallots and garlic and a delicious, easy-to-make cream sauce.
When the mood for comfort food strikes, make this creamy sausage mushroom pasta. Use any pasta you’d like. I recommend rotini, penne, rigatoni or bow ties. You want to choose a pasta that has some nooks and crannies (or tubes) so the sauce can nestle itself inside of those secret spots. As far as the sausage goes, I like to use mild Italian sausage. If you’re one who likes things spicy, use the spicy version instead.
- Italian sausage
- salted butter
- fresh mushrooms
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- heavy whipping cream
- fresh parsley
How to make Creamy Sausage Mushroom Pasta:
The complete, printable recipe is at the end of this post.
What do pasta recipes call for using pasta water?
The result is a pasta dish with a cream sauce that lightly coats the pasta and other ingredients. You won’t see pasta swimming in sauce in this recipe.
Garnish individual servings with a sprinkle of chopped fresh parsley. You can also add a little grated Parmesan cheese, if you’d like. Enjoy!
The Best Pasta Recipes:
- Tuscan Chicken Pasta
- Cacio e Pepe
- One Pan Bacon Ranch Parmesan Pasta
- Spaghetti Carbonara
- Burrata Baked Ziti
Creamy Mushroom Sausage Pasta
- 1 pound pasta (rotini, penne, rigatoni or bow ties)
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 2 teaspoons salted butter
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 large shallots, chopped finely
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain, and then put the pasta back into the pot (save ½ cup of pasta water, in case it's needed for the sauce).
- In a large skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes or until cooked through. Break it into small pieces, and remove the sausage from the pan and onto a paper towel-lined plate.
- In the skillet, heat the butter over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, shallots, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook, covered, for 4 minutes- stirring occasionally. Uncover and cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender and the liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in the cream; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 8 to 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add the cooked sausage to the skillet; heat through. Add the sauce to the pasta in the pan. Stir to combine. Add a little pasta water, if desired, if the sauce seems too thick. Garnish individual servings with a sprinkle of parsley.